Chapter 7

They landed in the yawning opening of a cave. Starling looked back at the smoke in the distance with worry.

Where are you, Mango?

"You coming?" Hurricane questioned, already headed into the cave.

Starling bounded to follow him. The strange masked Skywing huffed as they walked, as if catching his breath from the flight. The flight hadn't been that long. Starling wasn't tired; just shaken up.

The two of them walked further into the winding tunnels of the cave. Starling examined Hurricane's mask with curiosity.

"What's with the mask?" Starling asked.

Hurricane didn't reply for a moment.

"There's a bigger cave down this tunnel," Hurricane said, avoiding Starling's question, "there's some boulders we can push in front of the entrance in case Sapphire and the rest of the Wings find us. It should be safe here."

"Sapphire?" Starling questioned.

"That Skywing you saw in the village," Hurricane said, "that's Sapphire. She works for the Wings. Does their bidding. Ever since they weaponized her they've seized power over the whole Sky Kingdom. And now it looks like they're going to take the Mud Kingdom too."

"One Skywing took over the whole kingdom?" Starling questioned.

"She's more powerful than you think," Hurricane warned eerily, "maybe the most powerful dragon in Pyrrhia. Nothing can stop her."

Starling felt a chill run down his spine and through his wings.

Nothing?

"Here it is," Hurricane said.

The cave opened up into a wide open space. Big enough for Starling to spread his wings without hitting the walls. It was so dark Starling could hardly see.

Hurricane sat down in the center of the cave where there was a small fire pit. Hurricane picked up two rocks in his talons and started smashing them together. He growled in frustration.

"Why won't you spark!?" Hurricane snarled.

Wouldn't it be easier to just use your fire breath?

"Need some help?" Starling asked.

"No!" Hurricane growled, there was a long pause of hesitation, "yes."

Starling stepped forward and breathed a plume of flame onto the fire pit, filling the cave with the orange glow of flame.

"Thank you," Hurricane grumbled, standing up again.

Hurricane walked over to a boulder and pushed it in front of the entrance, closing them off in the dimly lit cave.

Starling sat down by the fire, coiling his tail around his talons.

"Why didn't you just use your fire breath?" Starling questioned.

Hurricane growled, walking back over to the fire and laying down on the rock.

"I have no fire," he said.

"You don't?" Starling questioned.

"Nope," Hurricane rolled over, turning away from Starling.

A Skywing who can't breathe fire. Maybe I'm not the only weird Skywing after all.

Starling wanted to ask so many more questions. Who were the Wings of Power? Why'd they burn the Mudwing village? Are they evil? Are my parents part of them? But Hurricane seemed so angry and tired. Unapproachable. He decided to just let Hurricane rest.

Starling lay'd down on the cool stone, but he couldn't sleep. All he could do was worry.