ten

Levi walked around the corner so he wouldn't have to go straight to Grant's car. He slid into the back seat after Colin had gone.

"In a shocking twist, Colin is an automotive detailer. He may have nothing to do with the Aventador."

Grant looked at him in the mirror. "Not likely, it's too big of a pill for me to swallow. What kind of group was he trying to recruit you to?"

"Wow, so you really are good at your job. It's a community or support group. For people who are the Protectors of the local Ageless," Levi paused, "speaking of your job, not that we don't appreciate time spent—"

"Suspended for six weeks for 'initiating a romantic relationship with a person of interest.'"

Murder frowned. "I'm sorry Grant, why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't want you to be upset about it because I'm not. Best decision I could've made." He squeezed her hand, "and now, I've got six weeks to find out who's messing with us, unfettered by actual work."

"Well," Levi sat back in his seat, "the meeting is tomorrow night. I should go, see who I see. Maybe I can record some of it. Do you have access to listening devices while suspended?"

"Rodriguez, my old partner, is bringing some toys with her to Giselle's tonight. Pinhole cameras, bugs, trackers. If the Lambo is there tomorrow, you can get something on it."

Murder turned in her seat to look at Levi.

"So, did he say if he was made of clay?"

"He isn't. In fact, none of them in his group are. He said he didn't know a golem could be a Protector."

"You're not a golem. You're a fully realized person."

"Made of clay and magic: Golem. He didn't say it as if were bad. And I'm okay with finally having a title since I wasn't born like other boys." The reference made Murder smile, and she sang Seether in her head as they drove home.

***

Murder was upset about having to go somewhere in the old Ford sedan again. She kind of wished now that she'd picked up a second, bigger car.

"You know, I still think we should get you a car of your own. What do you like?"

Levi chuckled in the back seat. And Grant shifted uncomfortably, hoping the light would turn green already.

"Maybe," Grant thought about it for a second, "and only if I can find something as perfect for me as what you have, then maybe we could pick out a car for me."

"Oh, so you like the Jaguar?"

"For you, yes. It's perfect. The color compliments your skin and hair. It's stylish and classy," he touched her face, "and even though it's old it's in fantastic condition."

Levi guffawed from the back seat. "Wow, are you two this sappy all the time?"

They all laughed and Grant turned a deep shade of blushed red.

***

Giselle's main room 5:55 pm

"This looks more like a party than a brain thing," Grant sighed as he slipped into a big, ornate chair.

"Dream-walk," Murder sat in the chair by his and held his hand. "Once we retrieve this info, I think you'll go back to being unimpaired, and we can have normal conversations for once."

Grant sighed again. "The normal conversations aren't the problem. It's when we talk about fight club that I can't actually talk about fight club I... I guess that's okay. Since—"

"The first rule is to not talk about fight club?" Levi interrupted him as he walked up.

"Yes. Tell me again why we needed to call Jenna? I don't even think she's seen Fight Club."

"It's quite dangerous for non fighters to go to fight club without being tethered." Levi realized he was growing weary of that pop culture reference, "We needed one more person who knew you before we met you, simple as that."

Murder squeezed Grant's hand. "She seemed excited for the invitation, and that it was to help you, and I know you're worried about them, but there's no danger to them, they'll just help us keep up with you. I can't wait to ask her about all your darkest secrets."

Grant laughed uncomfortably. The doorbell rang. Giselle ushered in a beautiful, tall Latina woman. Murder's eyes got big like saucers. "Is that?"

"That's Rita Rodriguez, my former partner." Murder really didn't like how big his smile was when he saw her. To her surprise, he stood up and took both her hands.

He glided across the floor with her in three-quarter time. Her favorite, like a waltz. She giggled as he led her into a perfect box step.

She knew he had to have been thinking about that for some time, maybe even practicing whenever she wasn't looking. They ended the short dance in front of Rita.

Grant lightly bowed to Murder and presented her to his former partner. He put on a light, and not exactly good, Boston Brahman accent.

"Mrs. Rodriguez, I present to you. The Lady, Murder LaVoe.

Rita laughed and thumbed towards Grant as she addressed Murder. "Who is this gentleman, and what have you done with Grant? Grant hugged her. Murder understood. Rita was kind of like Grant's Levi.

"Rita, show Murder my beautiful 'nephews'!" Murder took Rita's arm as they began walking and looking at pictures of her husband Jorge, and their two sons.