eleven

Jenna St. James arrived at the giant mansion on the outskirts of town. It was hidden in a patch of gloomy-looking woods There was no marker at the main road. A mile in, there was a gate. It swung open as she approached. Well, that's not creepy... at all. Lightning lit the night sky and thunder rumbled. Yeah, that's better. She pulled her Accord up to the circular driveway. She'd never seen such a house in person. She parked in the first open spot she saw and wondered if she was doing it right, as the night sky lit with lightning again. She hoped Grant's new girlfriend's name really had no bearing on how the evening was to play out. She walked to the massive front doors. They opened and a beautiful, older blonde woman stepped out. She remembered her manners and closed her gaping jaw.

"I'm Jenna—"

"Yes, we're expecting you. I'm—"

"Giselle Dubois! I'm a big fan! You were in all my magazines in high school! How does Grant know you?"

"I spit in his face, but it was a misunderstanding, really darling."

Yep, not creepy at all.

***

The Mage looked more like an Upper East Side dentist than anything metaphysical, black simple suit, balding, Rolex. His anti-decay perfume was functioning perfectly on Giselle, so no one seemed to be worried about his skill set. No one charmed at least. Grant and all of his mundane friends seemed to feel unsure.

Murder caught Jenna in the kitchen, and Grant was chuckling at the fact that she seemed sort of jealous. He knew she'd had a lot of life before she met him, and probably more lovers than he wanted to know about. Really though, he just didn't care. He felt he'd finally met his soulmate. The one. He wasn't worried about anything Jenna might say. He finally felt lucky that Jenna had dumped him. It was a weird feeling, but good. He slipped a little closer to see if he could listen in.

"I was surprised when Grant called Raoul's for the reservation. Honestly? I was so upset when he called back to cancel. I just wanted him to be happy and he sounded so excited for this date he had. I can see why now, good grief, you're like... an angel, or a wood nymph or... something."

"You're sweet! I'm so glad you're happy for him. I think he felt bad because you warned him that dating might ruin your friendship. I see now that you always cared for him. It kind of tore you up to break up with him, didn't it?"

"Yeah I love him but... I never loved him like he wanted. You do, though, don't you?

"More than I ever thought possible so quickly, and I've been around a long time."

"So how does that work? Ageless, I mean..."

Grant slipped away, their conversation fading into the background as he walked. He decided to focus. He needed to make sure his love was safe. Lady Dreamscapes. She'd picked the name before meeting him. Now she was taking him to her namesake, the dreamscape.

He'd find the source of his aphasia, but he wanted to know what "Mother" had been filling Murder's brain with. Also, he wanted to know who the woman really was. He felt a cold chill as if part of him changed suddenly. He felt a tingle in his fingertips. He held his hand in front of his face. As he brushed his thumb against his fingers, he could see tiny bolts of energy. He was magical after all, and that's what someone was desperately trying to hide from him, and everyone else.

***

Everyone gathered in Giselle's large dining room, her mage, who introduced himself as Arthur, stood at the head of the table. He asked everyone to have a seat. Grant walked to the other end of the table and sat next to Murder. He took her hand and addressed the table.

"Tonight, here amongst this extended family of a sort, we've gathered to help me cure a malady. It seems to have cleared itself up, maybe it's the mixing of magicals and others that reverted my magical aphasia." He stood, still holding his beloved's hand, "Lux," he commanded, as he snapped his fingers. The six candelabras placed down the center strip of the table all lit. "Turns out someone has kept me from discovering my true nature for my whole life." Murder looked up at him wide-eyed, confused, but still wearing that gorgeous smirk. "Anyone want to help me find out why?" Everyone, Rita, Maxwell, Levi, Jenna, Giselle, and even Arthur raised their hands. Murder stood at his side and squeezed his hand. On his left, he reached for Levi.

They formed a circle of hands around the table as Arthur began to chant.

Familia, qui hic simul peto iter in provinciam somniabunt

The candles flickered and the room faded into darkness, as everyone slumped into their chairs and into a sound sleep.

Grant's phone began to ring. The caller ID read: Hidden Brook.

Giselle answered the phone. Apparently, her status as Undead prevented her from entering the Dreamscape. That, or she was simply an insomniac.