ONE

When I pulled a hare out of the top hat, I knew my spell had failed. This was not my first attempt, and most likely would not be my last. I sighed, my eyebrows furrowing, and I cradled the furry animal in my arms.

"I simply cannot understand why this won't work," I exclaimed, placing the hare down on the table next to three other newts, a pigeon and a turtle dove. "It really should be quite straightforward," I continued, "I mean, for Hecate's sake, all I need to do is pull a rabbit out of a hat."

Alice, watching from the kitchen table, nodded in agreement. Her doe eyes were filled with curiosity as she reached forward to stroke the hare, "In all fairness, this is your best attempt yet."

I waved my hands and the animals returned to their original forms of pinecones. Nothing that a cup of tea wouldn't solve, I thought, going over to the stove on the other side of the tiny room. I cleared away the peculiar looking jars that were resting on the counter which Alice was always wondering contained and made room for a saucepan to which I could sprinkle all sorts of herbs and spices into.

"Are you sure you can't come with me?" Alice pouted, fiddling with her dark curls. She was perhaps the epitome of perfection - delicate, soft and ever-so pretty. "I really don't want to go alone."

The saucepan blew a purple smoke, as I coughed, waving my hands to waft away the strong, lavender odour. "To the Annual Ball? Unless the King wants to hand me a personal invitation himself, your father would never let me attend," I replied tiredly, pouring my tea into an awkwardly large mug which was missing its handle.

"The capital really isn't all that bad," Alice intervened, aware of my hermit behaviour, "And I'm sure if I bring out the puppy dog look, he would let you come..."

I was scowling as I took a seat across from my friend, "I am certain even if you got down on your hands and knees and begged for me to come, he would still say no. Besides, isn't he still fuming from the time I made you late for the meeting with His Fuzziness?"

"Mor, you shouldn't refer to His Majesty in such a way! What if someone hears you?"

To this, I rolled my eyes, sipping my tea, "Oh, I am sure he must be standing right outside this door ready to arrest me."

Alice paused for a moment, "You know, His Majesty really isn't that bad. He's quite, well, kind."

"I think you're just in love," I smiled, "At least he's rich. Better than running off with some self-proclaimed aspiring artist."

"He has expressed no interest in me." Alice looked disheartened and failed to cover up her watering eyes.

"Unless he is blind and stupid, Alice, he will be honoured that you are even thinking of him. Or at least I will make sure he is." Ana muttered the last thought to herself, careful ideas of how she would poison the Lycan King coming to shape in her cunning mind.

Alice's voice came as quiet as a mouse, "I don't think his wolf recognises me as his chosen mate."

Despite my awareness of the sacred way that a wolf may claim their lifelong partner, I could not fathom a beast as great and as terrifying as a lycan being reduced to a romantic, pining mutt – one that is rumoured to have eaten witches for breakfast centuries ago.

Before I could try and most likely fail to console my friend, a knock sounded at the door.

I sighed, going over to answer the call, and gave my guests, two stern looking men, a lopsided smile. "How have you been boys?" I grinned, leaning at the edge of the door, full well knowing they could not enter a witch's house without permission due to the powerful wards placed on every entrance.

"Morgana," one of them stiffly greeted, fists clenching so tightly together you could see his knuckles turn white. Witches weren't well liked within the werewolf community, and my reputation had a way of preceding itself.

Before he could say anything more, Alice came to their rescue, clutching a bag by her side filled with odd trinkets I had given her in hopes they would ward away evil spirits, or mostly men. They would not dare upset the alpha's daughter, especially one as lovely as her. She turned to give her dear friend her the brightest smile, before walking over to the black car parked outside.

I turned to go back inside but was stopped by a hand on my shoulder. I quickly turned around, eyes flashing yellow in warning. The werewolf raised his hands in defence, signifying he meant no harm. "I have a message for you. The Alpha King sends his greetings."

I met his eyes with a curious look upon my face as he continued, "I assume you have received His Majesty's invitation."

"You can tell Your Majesty that if he wants to see me, he can drag his furry ass here," I told him, turning away as my hands raised to force the door shut, leaving him startled without a moment's hesitation.

The truth was that I had opened the letter that had arrived with yesterday morning's post and was immediately taken aback by the handwritten note signed personally by His Majesty requesting I was come to discuss 'urgent matters' with him immediately. But though I respected his royal claim over the empire, I was personally exempt from his control due to the fact that my house was situated right outside the border in what was technically known as no creature's land.

A simple citizen would not recognise the divide, but it was clear to both me and the lycan that his power could not extend into my garden and cottage. This had led me to the presumption that as long as I did not enter the capital, I would remain werewolf king free.

This presumption, however, was proven wrong when I found the Alpha King sitting in my kitchen after a morning grocery trip.

"Morgana," he smiled, his lips curling into a terrible grin, "I have been looking for you."