SIX

I had taken refuge at the very edge of the hall, the perhaps third glass of champagne I had been given by a waiter in hand. I watched quietly as Alice and His Fuzziness engaged in what seemed to be a lively conversation with some other important werewolf officials across the room. Despite my unwanted aversion to their proximity, I willed myself to feel proud of her, and pleased that she was finally achieving what she wanted.

The evening, however, was made even trickier when Alice's father approached me, a stern look upon his face as he came to stand by me. "Mister Denver, what a pleasant surprise," I stiffly greeted.

He did not grace me with a response immediately, instead only gave a small nod. "I did not realise those such as yourself were granted entrance to the royal palace," he eventually spoke, every word sounding strained and deliberate. He, much like Alice, stood tall, but unlike his daughter, he was anything but soft and delicate.

I could hardly discern who were the those he was referring to, but I doubted he meant anything positive of it. I only smiled, but I was sure it did not reach my eyes, "Ah, I guess His Majesty was feeling generous."

"Yes, His Majesty is a benevolent man," he was studying me closely now, "I was hoping it was simply charitable generosity, and not at all related to the rumours I had heard of a certain witch gaining favourability with the king."

"He asked for my help, Mister Denver, which I wilfully gave," I couldn't help but hold the champagne glass tighter, bringing it down to my chest, "You see, there had been an assassination attempt. But you wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"

His expression was unreadable, "Funny, Miss Morgana, I was going to ask you the very same thing."

He simply hated how I didn't call him Alpha Denver.

I wanted to scowl, or transform his tie into a snake, or at least throw my drink in his face to show him the outrage and offence I was currently feeling. But he – just maybe – had reasons to be suspicious, and I knew an argument would only ruin Alice's evening which she had been so looking forward to.

"My innocence has already been proved," I sighed, my anger quickly diminishing as I turned to face him, "You know I have Alice's best interest at heart."

He held my gaze for a second, watching as my features softened to portray an honest sense of vulnerability.

"Then you must allow her to become queen."

His words reminded me of the importance of this mating, the weight that it held in a world of politics and power. "If that is what she wants," I managed, turning to watch my friend throw her head back in laughter at something Cain – no, His Majesty – had said.

"She must, Morgana. This is not a question of wants."

I frowned, slightly taken aback by how desperate his voice sounded. But before I could argue, or even question why the alpha was so in need of this partnership, he was gone, already being greeted by a vampire I didn't recognise.

Oh Hecate, I cursed myself, finishing the rest of the bubbly drink in one solemn gulp. My head was now a little fuzzy as I remembered werewolves were most likely not serving regular alcohol due to its lack in potency for a creature with an immune system as formidable as their own.

"You must excuse me, are you Morgana Swann?" I was pulled from my thoughts of reproach by an unfamiliar voice.

"Who's asking?" I automatically responded. When I looked up, I was met by a face with skin almost as fair as mine, but unlike my raven locks, his hair was as white as snow, and intricately braided in the style most fae commonly used.

"I am sorry, this is such an honour," his skin was flushed as he grasped my hand in an over-eager greeting, "My name is Damarian – I am an elder of the High Court.

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Why would a member of the High Court – an elite order of academics who gave council to royalty alike – be honoured to make my acquaintance?

"Oh," was the most articulate thing I could think of to say.

"I have studied your research in botany, and the guides you have to understanding the magical and medicinal properties of alpine plants. It's incredible how much knowledge you have collated on such a variety of topics."

I must have been blushing too with how much enthusiasm he was demonstrating, "I am flattered. I did not think those books were popular, but it has always been a special interest of mine."

His eyes were glowing, and I noticed they were an impossibly clear blue. He seemed too young to be an elder, but I presumed much like me, he did not look his true age. I knew the fae were beautiful but one is easily able to forget until they are face-to-face with one as wonderful as him.

"It was your research that paved the way for the cure to wolfsbane."

And paved the way for the creation of wolfsbane, I wanted to correct him, but thought it was best to remain quiet. After all, it wasn't everyday you were met with those willing to congratulate you on your research of mountain-dwelling vegetation.

"I was disappointed when I heard you were no longer teaching. I asked at the university in the Capital for you."

"I didn't realise an elder could also be a student," I grinned.

He laughed, face becoming open and warm with joy, "I am sure I still have much to learn."

"I still think the same about myself," I told him, "But truly, you aren't missing out on much. Most of my studies on botany have been published. My true passion always lay with alchemy."

Damarian nodded, as if he already knew what I was going to say, "Ah, yes, I have also read whatever remained of your lectures. I never could quite understand why an immortal witch was so concerned with an arbitrary study such as alchemy. Surely gold and youth mean very little to the likes of yourself."

"You must not have listened to me carefully," I was crossing my arms over my chest as I teased him, finally feeling relaxed for the first time since I had entered the ball with a fellow magician, "Alchemy is at the heart of witchcraft. Studying how matter can be changed - how everything can change - allows for great magic."

"Even that of persuasion?"

This is what I was known for. Not botany, not turning water into solid gold. I was Morgana Swann - the enchantress.

I looked down at my empty glass and nodded, "Even persuasion."

"It would be an honour, not just to me, but to every prospective student if you thought of teaching aga-"

Damarian suddenly stopped speaking, his expression faltering before it quickly regained its easygoing smile. "Your Majesty," he smiled warmly, "How kind of you to join us."