Chapter 1: The Freak?

Kate Wallace stood in front of the student body, cheering for the Hawkins High basketball team pep rally. She looked over and saw her best friend Chrissy smiling at her boyfriend, the captain of the team and rolled her eyes. He was such a douche bag, but even telling her friend that, she didn't listen.

"Earth to Kate," Chrissy said, pushing on her arm.

"Sorry, I guess I was somewhere else for a minute." As the rally came to a close, Chrissy pulled Kate to the side.

"Look Kate, I need you to do me a favor. You know how I've been feeling crazy lately?" Kate nodded, knowing her best friend has been going through something. "I need to take this edge off so I'm meeting Eddie Munson after school to get something. I don't want to go alone."

"Eddie "the freak" Munson?" Kate asked. Chrissy shook her head yes. "We'll then I'll definitely go with you." Kate would never let her friends know, but she had always had sort of a crush on Eddie. I mean they ran in different crowds, but something about him made her weak.

Later that afternoon, Kate followed Chrissy into the woods by the football field to meet Eddie. As they reached the picnic table, Chrissy started looking at the tree, zoning out. Kate looked at her friend and wondered if it had to do with what she had been going through lately. Kate pushed on Chrissy's shoulder, breaking her from her trance. As Chrissy came back to reality, they were both startled by Eddie.

He knew he was meeting Chrissy, but he wasn't expecting Kate Wallace to. Even though she was a prissy cheerleader, he thought there was something different about her and had had a crush on her for a while.

"Oh not one, but two of Hawkin's High's cheerleaders," he started.

"Shove it Munson, can you help Chrissy or not," Kate said.

"Damn, Wallace, calm down," he replied. Kate rolled her eyes outwardly, but was melting inside. Eddie offered them to sit at the table as he began making small talk with them, walking Chrissy through what he had. He noticed that Chrissy was on edge and tried to make her laugh by telling her a story of a talent show they were both in in middle school, which lightened the mood until Chrissy's face got sad again.

"Do you ever feel like you're losing your mind?" Chrissy asked. Eddie answered that he felt like it on a daily basis. Kate felt a ping in her stomach not only for her best friend feeling that way and not telling her, but Eddie too. "Do you have anything stronger?"

"I do, but it's at my house," he answered.

Later that night, Kate went home and Chrissy ended up going with Eddie to his house. The events that happened after would change everything.