16.

I couldn't escape

I couldn't escape. Every inch of my life was marked by Harry.

His starry green eyes laced my memory with endearing warmth, his touch still made my blood rush, the memory still made my feelings swarm. His presence was forever in my mind, no matter our distance. He'd accepted me after the horrible things I'd done, and I trusted him after the destruction that ensued. I gave him a place in my life that would forever be my regret. This was the end.

His managers arranged for him to take the deal.

After the phone call with Livia I couldn't let a second of inaction pass. I left, purchasing a plane ticket through my phone and leaving by the first taxi that passed the street. The twenty dollars Harry gave me were enough to cover the fare. I still wore his clothes while boarding the plane, inhaling his aroma with every grief stricken breath. I wanted to hug that scent instead of wearing it, but this time he wasn't beside me. If I hadn't ran away with him, I wouldn't be choking back tears.

Now I sat in his driveway, having just driven back from the airport, alone.

I didn't care if he was stranded in New York. I left him without a single goodbye to replay in his mind. There was no satisfaction to be granted.

Hanging in his driveway I felt the pulse in my wrist thump against the steering wheel. It felt unnatural having to adjust the seat and mirrors to my body, knowing everything was set perfectly to his liking. Feeling the large gap from my feet and the gas petal reminded me of his long legs intertwined with mine, only a soft sheet protecting our contact. He'd ever so gently hugged me. It was like he feared a single touch would revoke him the pleasure of my skin. Everything was slow, he waited for me to pursue more touch.

It felt so unlike the him I knew.

That's why I was grieving. I had to process the side of Harry I saw, and realize I'd never get that again. From hereon out we couldn't be close to one another without breaking contractual binds. I understood the intention was to clear us of controversy, but business and pleasure never sounded so good together.

I unlatched the drivers seat door handle to step onto the smooth concrete path. The yellow set sun reflected off the front windows of his home. No one occupied the space, so I knew it was an opportune time to gather everything I left. Once twisting through the front door lock, I was greeted with his distinct house scent.

His signature candles and perfumes claimed the walls, sticking to the fibers of his cushions and welcoming my nose. I flicked on a few lights to warm up the area. It felt so long ago that I was here, leaning over the bar as he fixed a drink. My pillow was still on his couch, curled and dipped where his head once fit.