○ Chapter 10 ○

After returning to her bunk, she was surprised to see a crisp envelope on her bed, just begging her curious mind to open it. Gingerly picking it up, she opened it and almost sobbed when she saw the familiar handwriting.

Dear Phoenix,

I had a feeling I wasn't gonna be coming back from this mission. If you're reading this, then it means I was right to give these to admiral Warlock. Just... don't feel guilty, okay? There was no way to know whatever happened was going to happen. After all, it was a routine mission, something we've done a million times before. It just so happened that this time was different than all the others. I have just one request of you, Phoenix. Well, two really.

My first request: don't feel responsible for my death. You're an amazing pilot, and with Bob as your RIO? You two are practically unstoppable! So don't you dare feel responsible for whatever happened out there because you weren't. The fault of my death is on me, no one else but myself. I'm a lone pilot, it was going to happen at some point.

My last request: look after Autumn. Mav's probably gonna be struggling a lot with my death so he may need help. But he's the type of guy who doesn't want to ask for that help, but he'll appreciate it if you can tell when he needs it. My dad was the same, apparently. My death will probably remind him of that, and he's gonna need as much help as he can get, especially raising my daughter if Lauren does what I think she's gonna do.

Just take every day as it comes, okay? And be the older sister Autumn needs. I love you, Phoenix, and I'll see you when I see you.

Love,Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw

More sobs escaped her as she held the letter to her chest. Her fellow teammates were in similar states.

Dear Bob,

Gosh, where do I start? Well I had a feeling I wasn't gonna be coming back from this mission. If you're reading this, then it means I was right to give these to admiral Warlock. When I first met you, you were the quiet nerd in the corner of the room like a wallflower but the more we got to know each other, the more I started to trust you. You're a great guy, Bob, and an amazing RIO. Do me a favour? Keep the guys in check. They're gonna need to be kept in line once in a while, especially Bagman.

I'll see you when I see you, Bob

Love,
Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw

Dear Fanboy,

I had a feeling I wasn't gonna be coming back from this mission. If you're reading this, then it means I was right to give these to admiral Warlock.

You're a good friend, like everyone on the team, but I feel like I can turn to you whenever I need you or whenever I need some kind of guidance. Could you be that guy for Autumn? She'll need someone like that in her life, especially if Mav ends up raising her. God, can you imagine him raising Autumn? Lord, I'd pay to see his reaction to the crazy shit she's gonna get up to with you lot.

I know you may be struggling with my death, Fanboy Mickey, but it wasn't your fault, you got that? I'm a lone pilot, I don't have a RIO, so it was on me. My death wasn't any of your faults, it was mine. Just don't do anything stupid, okay? That's my job.

I'll see you when I see you, Mickey.

Love,
Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw

Dear Payback,

I had a feeling I wasn't gonna be coming back from this mission. If you're reading this, then it means I was right to give these letters to admiral Warlock. I'm really sorry for all the pain I've caused with my death, but don't grieve me for too long. You've still got the rest of your career to commit to. And Reuben? Do me a favour, help the others out? They're gonna be struggling a whole lot and I trust you to help them.

I'll see you when I see you, Reuben

Love,
Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw

Dear Coyote,

I had a feeling I wasn't gonna be coming back from this mission. If you're reading this, then it means I was right to give these to admiral Warlock.

You're a great guy, Javy, and you did it! You had a successful mission, you're first big successful mission! I'm so proud of you. Keep doing what you're doing, and you'll do great things in the future. Heck, I see you becoming an admiral soon. Just... be nicer than admiral Cyclone is, would ya? We don't need a second Cyclone running around.

Jokes out of the way, you're making all of us proud. I'll see you when I see you, Javy

Love,
Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw

Dear Hangman,

I had a feeling I wasn't gonna be coming back from this mission. If you're reading this, then it means I was right to give these to admiral Warlock.

I know we didn't always see eye to eye at the start of this team, but you're one of my best friends. You're the guy I can do stupid shit with that pisses off the higher ups and makes the others laugh. Keep doing that, it'll help all of you. Gosh, I'm gonna miss my prankster buddy.

I'll see you when I see you, Jake

Love,
Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw

My dearest Lauren,

I'm sorry, I had a feeling I wasn't gonna be coming back from this mission. If you're reading this, then it means I was right to give these to admiral Warlock.

Just know you're the best thing that has ever happened to me and ever will happen to me. I'm really going to miss you, even if we started to become distant near the end. Don't blame anyone on the team for my death or any of the admirals. It wasn't their fault, it was mine. I'm a lone pilot, you know this, so I don't exactly have that much backup in regard to a RIO. I love you, Lauren, and I'll see you when I see you.

Lots of love,
Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw

Dear Penny,

I had a feeling I wasn't gonna be coming back from this mission. If you're reading this, then it means I was right to give these to admiral Warlock.

I just wanted to say a quick thank you to you. You were there for me when Mav and I had that massive fight a few months back now. You were also the one that got Mav and I to talk to each other again. I'm pretty sure you get tired of hearing our arguments and yet you still listen to the stupid stuff we argue about so thank you, Penny. I'll see you when I see you.

Love,
Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw

Dear Amelia,

I had a feeling I wasn't gonna be coming back from this mission. If you're reading this, then it means I was right to give these to admiral Warlock.

Don't cry for me, kid. We got along great, and I know it's tough on you, but you've got a lot of amazing people here to help you. And, just between me and you, it's probably best to go to Bob for help on homework, especially if it's stuff to do with maths. The guy's a genius in the making, I swear. I'm so proud of you kid, so proud. But yeah, I'll see you when I see you, Amelia.

Love,
Bradley "Rooster" Bradshaw