Chapter Four - Dust

I awoke to the early morning sun peeking through the window, at first confused as to where I was. Then at the sight of a pine tree, it all came flooding back.

Are those birds? I haven't heard birds in a long time. Since before I moved to the city, I've forgotten their beautiful song. The warm golden light of the sun peers through a crack in the window. Igniting the dust in the air. I've forgotten these moments to.

Josh and I just arrived the night before. We barely had done anything as we were so tired from the drive, the only thing I managed to do when I came into my room, was dust off the bed.

The small house had only two floors, the top floor was inside the pitch of the roof, like an A-frame. But it had a small closet and a small bathroom. This was my floor, albeit Josh insisted on taking the slightly smaller bedroom on the main floor.

"This one's mine" Josh huffed, hands on his hips like a child.
"Why this one?"
"I just like how close it was to the main areas of the house...y'know for any nefarious activities," he smirked at me eyebrows raised and a toothy grin. I chuckled.
"You? Nefarious? You're such a golden retriever, you could never." I scoffed back.
"You're right, I just didn't want to carry all my stuff up the stairs. Seriously, I get mountain homes, but isn't the whole point is that there's space? I can barely fit through those stairs AND they're steep. I'll pass."
"Ah, but how will you keep your model figurine?" I giggled back.

We were lucky to have found this place, small mountain towns don't usually have the best fully-furnished apartments for rent, but I believe Josh had luck following him around the day he found this place.

Built in the early 1900s, the place had its fair share of weather and use. But the inside was modestly re-done, according to the owners. Albeit, extremely dusty and dirty from being unoccupied for some time. Our landlords are an older couple, who were so kind and thankful someone could "give the home some love." Even offering that Josh and I renovate the home as if it were our own. They said they moved to a smaller town nearby, listing the house as a rental.

"Three Rivers is so lovely dears. We didn't want to leave, but our bones got older and we just couldn't keep up with you young folks. You'll fall in love with the town and its people shortly, we'd be open to selling the house to you one day."

I scoffed at the memory. This whole thing may have been Josh's idea, but knowing him after all these years, he'll be back in the city in no time. After all, we're just here for the year.

A break. You just need a break.

I tossed the sheets aside, making my way to the curtain-less bay window. I folded my arms across my chest, taking a deep breath of the scent of pine trees and morning dew. How peaceful.

I made my way down the stairs, sliding my hand down the adjacent wall for balance. Josh was right, they were steep. I sighed at the thought of bringing my boxes up them.

Josh was in the kitchen, all dressed and ready for the day, he was always a morning person. The sunlight from the large kitchen windows poured in, illuminating his skin. It was as if he was dripping gold, the way he sparkled in the golden rays. I had to rub my eyes to make sure I didn't actually stumble upon a Greek God.

"Finally, the vampire awakens," Josh taunted. He was unpacking some of his mugs and placing them on the wooden shelves.

"I'm not a vampire!" I chuckled, "But that was the first time I've slept well in a while..."

"That's the power of the mountains baby, told ya it would do you some good."

"You're right as always." I sighed, taking in our new home. The kitchen was open to the main living space, directly across from a stone fireplace. I've always wanted a fireplace, but they came few and far between in the city. I was glad to have noted it was a wooden fireplace, the sound of real wood crackling was one of my favorite sounds growing up.

The kitchen was small, but there were windows on each side of the overhead fan, decorated from the same stone as the fireplace, and open shelving on one wall. There was a stove in the middle and a small island directly across.

The cabinets were a dark green, complimentary to the trees the windows had direct view of. The counters were made of wood in a rich warm oak color.

The place was dusty and needed some work, but it was pretty. Josh's fussing ripped my thoughts away.

"Oh! I thought we could explore the town a little today. I can show you where our new jobs as baristas are! Plus, we can get a better feel for the place."

"Oh right...I'm pleasantly shocked you managed to find us both jobs and at the same place nonetheless. I hope you don't sick of me..." I trailed, a tinge of pain remembering the times Jamie would tell me I was a burden, and how he was sick of me, how I was the reason he cheated. I quickly shook those thoughts away. Not now.

You're worthless.

"Me? Get sick of my best friend? My ride or die? Remember our pact? How could you say that!" Josh replied with sarcastic bravado. I chuckled.

Oh right, the pact. Josh and I had jokingly (and drunkenly) made a pact to marry each other if our relationships didn't pan out. A silly, college pact he never seemed to forget. Although we both strongly feel better as friends, I can't help but ask myself if he's ever wanted more.

Josh was the type to never settle down. Back in the city he'd always be on dates or some wild adventure with a girl or a boy. But it seems, he never let anyone too close. Even myself. Him suggesting we move here came as a shock, Josh wasn't one for small town life. I wonder what had changed in his life.

He has always been lighthearted and full of joy since the day I met him. But, there were some times where you would catch a glimpse of sadness in his eyes, but it would never last long. I've known Josh for 5 years now, but I've never heard what his past was like. He doesn't talk much about his childhood.

We rolled into town mid-morning, the locals were out and about and the sleepy stores were opening slowly. There were hardware stores and small boutiques, the people were a little older but they looked happy. I smiled softly to myself, the city was so different and exciting. But I had always loved the small town feel.

Josh pulled into a spot near the hardware store. I glanced at him curiously. "Why here?"

"Girl you really think I'm going to live in that filthy apartment?" He rolled his eyes, "I hate cleaning, but that shit is so dirty."

"Oh...right. I could use some curtains as well..." I mumbled as I opened the car door.

"Are you sure you're not a vampire?"

"Wouldn't I be like...burning in the sunlight?"

"You could just be sparkly, like Edward."

"The only thing sparkly is you. Are you sure you're not one? You were practically dripping gold earlier in the kitchen..." I retorted back, teasing about his bisexuality.

Josh just let out his bellowy laugh. Like clouds, my heart lifted at his smile.

We entered the store, door bells ringing quietly. We quickly grabbed the cleaning supplies to pay. Josh was rambling about his "Cleaning Game Plan" when the door bells rung once more, catching my attention.

As I looked up a pair of familiar green eyes immediately caught mine. I widen my eyes, and the green-eyed man lifted one side of his mouth, was that a hint of a smirk? But his eyes and face seemed displeased to be here. I didn't even know this guy, but he seemed to already hate us, or me.

"You."