Chapter Six - Branches

Another week has passed by and Josh and I have adjusted to our schedules. From work most days to exploring the town during our time off. The coffee shop had kept steady and busy, especially with Josh's big personality (and his good looks). Most of our "customers" were ladies.

I did notice that the shop mostly attracted "pass-thru" people. People pulling off the highway for a quick roadside break to wherever they were going. There was a ski resort on one end and the city was far down the other. But for the most part, the weekdays were quiet, aside from the locals in town coming in to grab their cup before they work.

It was early morning, Josh and I arrived extra early to prep for the day. It was Friday, a bit busier than normal days. We also knew many of the townsfolk who came in were also getting ready for their own days. Josh was in the back getting the pastries ready. I had some light acoustic playing in the background, humming softly to the gentle tune when I heard the bells to the shop open.

"Good morning, welcome in.." I looked up to see a pair of familiar green eyes. "Oh, hello August. First time seeing you here."

"I've been coming to this shop since before Pete and Maria had their first kid." He retorted bluntly. I scoffed, first time he's ever said more than 3 words to me and it's a rude remark.

"Okay, well first time I'm seeing you here. What do you want?"

"That's not really the kind of tone to use with a customer? They teach you that in the city?"

"No, but it taught me to deal with bullshit." I replied flatly, leaning over the cash register. "Now, what do you want?"

"Coffee."

"No shit, what kind?"

"Just coffee...oh and a splash of maple."

"Coffee with a splash of maple, got it. Any milk? Whole?"

"Did I say milk? No. Just coffee and the maple."

"O-K. One coffee with maple coming up. That'll be $3."

He gave me a five dollar bill. I gave him his change, but he slipped it into the tip jar.

"Oh my, is this an act of kindness from August..."I trailed, "What was it again?"

"Wilder. And you're welcome." He said flatly, peering at me with his eyes. Maybe it was the dim morning lights, but I never notice how deep green his eyes were. Matching the pine trees that surrounded Three Rivers.

If he wasn't so rude or stand-offish, I'd think he was an attractive man. He was tall, muscular, but slim. He had dark brown hair, tousled but neat. He reminded me of some of the models Josh would bring home in a way. He had broad shoulders, and he always seems to have sawdust on his boots. Wait what am I doing?

"Um, coffee please?" He grumbled, annoyed at my peering of him.

"Yup, here you go." I handed him his coffee and he grabbed it and left just as quickly as he came.

"Bye..." I trailed as the bells rang after his swift exit.

Some time had passed, the sun was just barely above the tree line when the bells rang again. This time it was the bright and smiling Bessie. A box full of baked goods in her arms.

"Oh! Let me help you with that!" Josh exclaimed from behind me, swiftly walking past me and lifting the box out of her hands. He quickly went towards the kitchen.

"Can't get him out of the kitchen." I smiled at her, getting her drink prepped. We haven't been here long, but Bes' always ordered a lavender latte with a vanilla cold foam.