seven

I walked back into the shed after checking around the property. I had done this a few times. It gave me something to do, but it also helped put me at ease to know that no one was coming for Eddie. It was dark at this point, the moonlight softened by the trees crowding the property. It was quiet too, the only sounds were that of the wind and the water crashing against the dock.

I closed the door behind me, locking it before my gaze settled on Eddie. He was sitting in the boat again, looking out across the lake. I walked over to the table, setting my flashlight down before grabbing a bag of chips and two bottles of water. I walked over and carefully stepped into the boat, sitting down next to Eddie.

I opened the bag and handed it to him, "You should eat something." I told him, setting the bottles down by my feet.

Eddie looked to me and hesitantly took the chips, "I don't think this is much of a meal." He spoke before reaching his hand into the bag, grabbing a handful of chips.

I shrugged, pulling my hair to one shoulder, "Well, if you didn't eat all of the honeycombs then we'd be fine." I joked, a smile playing across my lips.

Eddie just shook his head and rolled his eyes, continuing to shove chips into his mouth. I watched as his hair stuck to his cheekbones and forehead. His face shone softly, most likely due to not being able to shower. Patches of dirt clung to his neck and hands.

I slid the bright red scrunchie I had off my wrist, "Look over there." I said softly, nodding to the wall that I was facing, causing Eddie to turn his head away from me. I carefully stood up and reached down, gently running my hands through his hair.

"What are you doing?" Eddie asked, attempting to turn his head to look at me until I stopped him, "Why are you touching my hair?"

I shook my head and grabbed his head, forcing him to face away from me, "Stop moving." I stated simply before continuing what I was doing. I pulled Eddie's hair to the back of his neck softly, making sure that it was smooth. I left out his bangs and a few of his curls before securing his hair into a low bun, "There."

Eddie turned his head to look up at me and furrowed his brows, reaching hand back to feel the bun. He stayed silent for a moment, examining with his hand what I had done to his hair. He finally spoke up after a moment, "Why?"

I shrugged and sat back down, grabbing the chips from his hands, shoving a few into my mouth, "Because it was in your face." I spoke and grabbed one of the water bottles, opening it, "It'll feel better."

Eddie just silently nodded, watching me from where he sat, "Is your hair bothering you?" He asked. I could tell that his thoughts had one when he reached over to the back of my shoulder, running the tips of his fingers through the ends of my hair.

"No, not really." I said and looked at him, holding out the water bottle, "Drink." I told him seriously, earning a confused look.

Eddie took the bottle, "You're really bossy, you know that?" He asked, taking a sip from the bottle while maintaining eye contact with me.

I just smirked and gestured to myself, "Well, I am a manager."

Eddie's eyes immediately widened and looked at me, "Shit, don't you have to work or something? And you have school too, why the hell are you here?" He asked, concern evident in his tone.

I couldn't help but grin at his reaction. Through all of this, he still cared about other people. I wiped my hands on my pants, "I got Sarah to cover for me...as for school, my homework is already done. I'm an overachiever."

Eddie waited for a moment before grinning, "You're something else." He stated while I stood, grabbing my water before stepping out of the boat.

"I've been told." I said and walked over to the workbench again, "Now get out of the boat and come here."