eight

Eddie

    I watched through my peripheral as Renee slowly fell asleep, her head lolling backward, sitting against the wall of the boathouse. I smiled a bit, mainly to myself. I carefully opened her sleeping bag and slowly slipped her legs into it, making sure that my movements didn't wake her up.

    She adjusted while asleep, moving so she was laying on the ground, unconsciously pulling her sleeping bag up to her chin. Renee was on her side, facing me.

    I took a good look at her, a real good look. I had many chances within our brief friendship to look at her, really look at her and see who she was. Even despite that, I barely knew anything about her. Our friendship consisted of sarcastic comments and guitar playing, yet here she was. She had trusted me enough to protect me. I would forever be in debt to her for that.

    I laid down as well, resting the side of my face on the palm of my hand, watching Renee as she slept. I had no intention of falling asleep, I rather make sure we're okay.

    She looked so happy when she slept. Her face was relaxed completely, her brows unfurrowed and her lips slightly parted, compared to her usual pursed expression.

    I would be insane not to see how beautiful she was.

    I reached forward with my free hand and slipped my fingertips across her cheekbone, talking a strand of hair behind her hair. She had a few hairs stuck to her face, most likely due to the lack of showering we were able to do. I cupped her face gently, letting my thumb stroke her cheek comfortingly.

    To my surprise, Renee's sleeping form nuzzled into my hand, letting out a content sigh. I smiled in response, letting my hand stay there for a few moments before pulling it back.

    I didn't know why she trusted me so much, maybe I never would, but I did know that I would never break it. Ever.

-

    I had stayed up all night, occasionally getting up and grabbing a drink, or looking out the window. I often softly touched Renee's hands whenever they slipped out from under the sleeping bag, making sure that she was warm enough. Surprisingly, despite the completely open back wall, it stayed fairly warm.

    My attention was shifted to the workbench when the walkie started going off, Hendersons voice coming through it clearly, "Renee! Renee! Eddie. I'm going to kill you both if you don't answer."

    I got up and quickly walked over to the bench, picking up the device. I turned the volume down so Henderson's annoying voice wouldn't wake her up, "The lady is asleep, have some manners." I spoke gruffly, running a ring clad hand over my face. The cold metal was refreshing against my cheeks.

    "Yeah, well we need her, okay?" Dustin replied, causing me to frown and look over at the sleeping girl, "Look, Steve's gonna come pick her up and then bring her to the Wheelers. We need to discuss all of the info we have on our perp."

I reached a hand up to the back of my head, scratching my neck before noticing that my hair was still in the loose bun Renee had put it in the night before. I grinned, but took my hair out. I slipped the red scrunchie onto my wrist, the silk material feeling soft against my skin.

"Eddie."

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah yeah, I'll relay the information. When's Harrington coming?" I asked, wanting to see if I could let her sleep in a bit longer.

Dustin's voice chimed through the walkie again, "Oh, he'll probably be there in ten."

I shook my head, furrowing my brows, "You couldn't have told me earlier? God, now I'm gonna have to wake her up and push her to get ready."