FOURTEEN

I was in the waiting room for about 5 hours. It was about 3 in the morning. I couldn't sleep.

My mom came to the hospital with me.

My mom got me coffee but I didn't touch it. I have no appetite to eat or drink.

I was sitting in the seat with my head down and my hands on top of my head. My mom rubbed my back.

Sapphire: I know you're scared hunny. But you have to be brave for your wife and your baby. I love you so much, son. But Emilia loves you so much more. So be strong and be brave.

I just tried to be quiet with my tears. My dad always taught me to be like. "Men don't cry." But Men do cry. Emilia told me real men cry. So i'm going to speak my feelings.

After about 30 minutes

Sapphire: Son, Andre. The doctor is here.

I quickly stood up and I looked at the doctor.

The doctor sat in-front of me and my mom.

Andre: How is she? Is she okay? Is the baby okay!

Doctor: Sir, They are both okay. Your wife had really fatal wounds, and from how deep the cut was on her stomach, it was right in between her uterus. So we had to deliver the baby.

Andre: But they are both okay!

Doctor: Yes! The baby doesn't even have a single mark on her. But she does have a little scratch because she scratched her nose on your wife's spine. But other than that. She is perfect.

Andre: She? It's a girl!

Doctor: Oh yes. It's a girl.

I'm a dad! To a girl, and I love her!

Doctor: Your wife is still asleep from the anesthesia. But she will be awake within the next hour. Would you like to come see them? But I suggest you change first?

Andre: Yes! I would. I will change! Thank you so much!

Doctor: You are a lucky man, sir. You got your wife here just in time. Good job.

I shake his hand.

Doctor: She is in room 23B.

Andre: Okay, thank you.

Sapphire: I brought you a change of clothes. Be happy!

Andre: Mom, I'm a dad now.

Sapphire: Really! What is the baby's gender? A boy rig-

Andre: It's a girl.

My moms face drops.

Andre: But I don't care about dad's or yours opinion on it. I love them both. And I don't care that my daughter isn't my son. She is still my kid. and I love her. So thank you for the clothes. And I don't want dad here until Emilia and me leave the hospital.

Sapphire: Andre! I'm so happy for you! I don't care about the gender. But your father will care. I will talk to him.

Andre: No! I want to talk to him about it.

Sapphire: Okay! But I love you son. Have a good night.

She hugs me and I go change.

I try to find Emilias room.

I find it and I walk in I see.