Chapter 51

Nico and I walk alongside each other as we make our way back to the tent, and I see my mom still talking with Brooks' parents. She's clutching onto her chest, giggling at something Brooks' mom said. Unlike Nico's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Caldwell are the warmest, most genuine people that you'll ever meet.

The band transitions into Elvis' 'Can't Help Falling In Love With You', and that's when Nico reaches for my hand.

"You wanna dance, BC?" he asks me.

I tilt my head and tuck my chin in. "You don't dance."

"Of course I do. You just don't know it."

"I know everything about you, Nico."

He raise his eyebrows and asks, "you sure about that?"

I let his fingers intertwine with mine as he leads us to the dance floor, where a few other couples are slow-dancing.

I hesitate, thinking about where to put my hand. Does it go across Nico's back? Over his shoulder? What about my head? Do I lay it in the crevice of his neck? Or should I just stand up straight?

But then, Nico lays his hand on my waist, while he interlaces his fingers with mine and holds it against our chests.

"Don't think about it too much," he tells me, reading the thoughts in my mind like he always does.

I nervously gulp, gazing at the crowd around us, and that's when I spot my mom staring at us with a smile on her face.

"Everyone's watching us," I say as my eyes scan the outside of the dance floor.

"You surprised?" He dips his chin down to look at me better. "No one lights up a room like you do, BC."

I smile at him as our feet continue to move in tandem with the music. And suddenly, I lean my head on Nico's shoulder as he moves his face closer to me so that his nose is touching my hair. Like Nico said, I'm not thinking too much about it. In fact, I'm not thinking much about anything. I'm doing what feels right. And this? It feels right. 

The song ends, and I wish it wouldn't. Nico and I slowly pull away from each other, but my gaze stays fixed on him as his does on me. I nervously tuck a loose strand of hair that falls in front of my face behind my ear as Nico stands there, staring at me like I'm the only person in this room.

Likewise, he's the only thing that I see. That is, until I notice Mark Bradford in my peripheral walking up to us.

"Nico, son," he places his hand on Nico's shoulder and says. "I need to borrow you for a second."

Borrow. Like Nico's some sort of object to him.

"It'll just be a minute, Bella, dear," Mark continues to say.

I don't say anything this time, and look at Nico, who appears apologetic. Before he turns away to follow his dad, he mouths, "I'm sorry," to me.

I decide to head to the bar to order myself a soda. Brooks stands there with his elbows resting on the tabletop as he flirts with the female bartender. I see him wink at her before she walks away.

"Do you have to flirt with everything that has a pulse?" I ask him.

"Do you have to be such a buzzkill?" he says, and I roll my eyes at him. "Kidding, B!" Brooks turns around and leans his back against the counter, gazing at the dance floor. "You having fun?"

"Yeah," I say as I lean my body forward to try and get the other bartender's attention.

"The Bradfords sure know how to throw a party, don't they?"