CHAPTER 1: Parasomnia

RED TIDE

chapter one: parasomnia

[ season 2, episode 1; monster ]

NIGHT 16—DAY 17

Three things had become clear to Katie Darcy over the last 24 hours.

One: the dead walked among them.

Two, there was no cure.

Three, they were all infected.

And finally, four: The world as they knew it was dead, and unlike the legions of flesh-hungry corpses roaming the city, it was never coming back.

All of that had never been more glaringly obvious than right now, as she stared down the burning remnants of the city she had called home for the past two weeks. Houses lit up like signal flares as napalm burned its path of destruction across the sky, trailing gold and scarlet into the unblinking darkness blanketing the beach.

In the end, the nation ended as the nation began — the military's missiles glared red against the ink-black sky, cutting deep into the heart of LA and ravaging all that was left.

The salt spray cut across Katie's face, stinging in the corners of her eyes as the Zodiac fought against the choppy sea. Over the roar of the engine, she could barely hear Holly's whines, and she gripped the lab's collar tighter. If she went overboard, there wouldn't be any rescue. Katie's vision blurred, but she was able to make out the pearl-white of the yacht ahead, and the figures aboard.

When they reached the loading deck, she helped the dog aboard first, then grabbed out theirs and the others' supplies, passing them along to Heather and Meghan before exiting the Zodiac herself.

Heather frowned as she tallied up the passengers. "Where's Chris?" she questioned.

"Still ashore with Madison and Travis," Katie shouted to be heard over the din. Leaning closer to Heather, she said in a voice only loud enough for her to hear, "He won't leave her."

Neither of them had to specify who Katie was talking about. Chris had been inconsolable since he'd come across Liza's corpse, and had refused to part with the body since.

Heather's eyebrows drew together, a stormy look coming over her face. "She's dead," she said tersely. "There's nothing he can do for her except join her."

With that, she picked up some of the supplies and stormed off, Holly trailing behind.

Just then, there was a low thrum felt through the boat — Strand was turning the engines on. Nick, finally finished unloading the rest of the supplies, stepped off the Zodiac and ascended the stairs quickly, shouting after their captain.