CHAPTER 6: Cabin Fever

RED TIDE

chapter six: cabin fever

[ season 2, episode 3; ouroboros ]

DAY 19

Katie crossed her arms, pressing her eyes shut as Travis leafed through the instruction manual for the ship, loosely bound in a manilla folder. The group had been abruptly woken late that night by the ship's engine stalling, and almost an hour later, nearing four in the morning, they were no closer to finding out why. She tugged her robe a bit tighter around the sweats she used as pajamas, more than a little uncomfortable being seen in such a casual state. Thankfully, she was far from alone in that regard — Madison hadn't covered up from the strappy tank and flowing black pants she used as sleepwear, nor had Travis from his tee and sweatpants, only throwing on a plaid overshirt as a coverup.

"Okay, so," Travis put on his glasses haphazardly letting them slide down his nose as he leafed through the folder. "The seawater is what's cooling the engines. No water, the engines overheat. I'm guessing something's blocking the water intake."

Strand's tone was snappish. "Pull whatever's blocking it and let's get the hell out of here."

"We got to get under the boat to find out what it is," Travis explained.

"Sun comes up in a few hours," Madison said.

"I'm not inclined to wait around for someone with a .50 caliber machine gun to roll up on us," Strand said coldly. Katie let out a breath as the Clark started in on him — while he may not have the best bedside manner, she couldn't say she disagreed.

"It's pitch-dark! We don't know what's down there!"

"We can shine a light."

"Should I get you some flippers?" she challenged, stepping towards Strand. "You going for a swim?" With a brief glance to Daniel, who had also remained quiet through the dispute, Katie could see they had reached a consensus. Stranded as they were, they were sitting ducks for whoever wished them harm. The boat had to move.

"The longer we wait, the bigger the risk," the father said.

"Daniel's right," Katie affirmed, giving Madison a patient look as the blonde redirected her ire towards her. "It would be one thing if it was just the life boats and survivors we had to look out for, but now we know someone's been following us. I'm not naive enough to think it's for a friendly chat."

Travis spoke, not looking up from the three ring binder he was flipping through at the counter. "I'll do it."

"Travis, it's not smart," Madison protested, walking over to her partner, voice shifting into something softer. "It's not safe. It's not how we decide things."