Chapter 4

State of Ignorance

Harper's POV

Amira pulled me and wonter back to the woods to hide ourselves.

"What are you doing? We have to help them," I said and was about to leave them and go back to the town when Wonter grabbed me by the wrist.

"Stay here, Harper. We don't know what's about to happen," He said.

The silhouette that sorrounded the whole town revealed itself.

"Bandits," I whisper.

There's many of them. I couldn't count them. They hold different weapons in their hands and some are hanging in their hips.

"Wonter, what did you found?" I turned to look at him.

"The kids name is walter, he has a sister trapped in this town. Apparently the town is sealed with a barrier the bandits created. They cannot leave the town.  He's been going in and out of the palace to sell coal."

"I thought they'd arrive by tomorrow?" I wondered to myself.

One bandit appeared behind the smokes, dragging George before slamming him in the ground. George grunts as he felt his cheeks touching the hard dusty soil while both  arms were bind in a tight rope. The bandit presses its foot hardly behind Georges back. I tightly closed my eyes while listening to the mans groan. I could hear the silent cries and pleas of the towns folks.

"Let go of my father!"

I opened my eyes and saw Walters sister running towards George. She hurled the bandits foot away of  Georges back. The bandit flumped on the ground. Walter followed her sister and tries to grab her away as she tries to untangle the rope binding Georges hands.

"You silly bitch!"

A sharp rebuke lands on walters sister's face. Slapped with the big, sharp, and filthy hands of the bandit. I bit the middle of my lips as I watched the bandit gripping her hair, twirling every strand of her hair around his fist as he tightens his grip.

Wonter hands are still holding me back from attacking.

"I should've killed you a long time ago," He says to her  as she sheds tears.

"Take her away," another bandit appeared and dragged the girl away.

"Where are they taking her?" I struggled to let go, but Wonter keeps his hands firm. I looked back at him with rage.

"Will you please let go of me?!" I whispered loudly.

"No, I can't," he said, matching my stares at him.

"What are you doing, Wonter? Why are you holding me back?"

"It's dangerous, Harper."

"So, what do you want? Just sit here and wait? Wait for them to kill them all?"

"Your highness," I turned to look at Amira. Her eyes dodges Wonter before focusing on me.

"We should wait first before striking. We still do not have a firm plan. I suggest we should wait for a short time at hindi pa natin nakikilala kung sino ang makakalaban natin. Attacking hastily without enough strength might lead us to vanquish."

"Listen to us first, Harper."

I took a heavy breath and didn't bother  uttering a single word.

I looked back in front of me. Walter is kneeling beside George.

"Did you know that George has Children?" I asked Wonter. I didn't look at him, I remained my eyes in front of us.

"No," he answered.