chapter 5 : Truth and betrayal

"With time, everything flies open. The most hidden lies the most obvious reasons, and the most false people."

After breakfast, still lost in thought, I ran back to my tower. Ron... Ron had smiled, he had been happy instead of helping. Something that was incomprehensible to me based on his concern when I had arrived on the ground. Why would he do that? His smile, which looked so abnormal and mischievous, kept repeating in my head. I did not know this smile, had not even seen it in a similar form on him. It was simply alien to me. After a few more minutes in this carousel of thoughts, I finally found myself in front of the Griffendor portal with our Fat Lady. "Password?" she asked as usual. "Lemondropcandys," was my reply. This password was just embarrassing in my opinion. We deserved a real password, not one that could hardly have come more clearly from the director himself. The painting in front of me swung open and I walked through the now open portal into the common room. It was empty. No wonder, classes had already started and so all Griffendor, as well as all other houses were currently in this one. At least I thought so, because when I went up the stairs to the dormitories and stopped in front of mine, I heard two familiar voices. At first I just wanted to go in but then... "We can't put the curse on Ron again until tomorrow, otherwise maybe the idiot will notice that his behavior is changing and he'll get to the bottom of it. And that," the voice was interrupted. "We mustn't allow ourselves to do that because otherwise our plan wouldn't work..." the new voice mimicked. Then her tone swung back to the norm. "I know Gin...", blood rushed in my ears, my pulse also increased noticeably.... Ginny ? and, now I could also logically assign the second voice, Hermione ?! Her behavior towards me had really changed in the last few weeks, but what was the connection between that and what the two of them were doing here? What had they done to Ron ? Damn... why are they cursing him. And who was the 'idiot' as they called him. Instead of entering the room I decided to continue listening. The curiosity was too great at that moment. The desire to know what they were talking about was too great. They are not going to do anything bad. The next thing I heard was the opening and closing of closet doors. What in Merlin's name were they doing to OUR cupboards?! Confusion was in short the only thing that was in my head at that time. Again and again I heard them opening and closing doors, as if they were looking for something specific. "He must have something that means a lot to him and that he carries around all day, something that we can use to get him to do what we want," Hermione's voice. "I know what you mean. We've really earned the money Dumbledore promised us over the last few years, and just because 'golden boy' now thinks he has to lose interest in me, I'm certainly not going to go unpaid...! Dumbledore promised it to us as our reward. We're just taking what's already ours..." "Ginny I am well aware of that. Why else do you think I bother with your moron of a brother, no offense...", Eyes widening, I let myself slide down the wall in a sort of shock. My heart was pounding almost painfully. My money?! My fucking, fucking money?! THAT was why they put up with me. Why they were my supposed friends?! Something that Dumbledore had promised them...?! How could that be? My hands were tangled in my hair. "It's alright Herm.", you could hear Ginny's grin. "I just hope we find something or I'll have to keep listening to Potter tell me how much he hates fighting the duuuncle duuuncle Lord Voldemord," the voice mimicked the last part. But that was also pretty irrelevant at the moment. "Hard to believe that the Wizengamot Dumbledore believed that Harry was the child of James and Lilly Potter. But hey, if they didn't, we'd be a long way from the money we're really starting to earn." At the same time, the rattling of closet doors and their retrieving drawers could be heard. The last sentence was too much. Meanwhile tears ran down my cheeks and I heard from that point only loud unbearable noise in my ears. This was combined with a prodding and much too loud throbbing. I jumped up. What happened next I was only vaguely aware of. I screamed at the top of my lungs "STOP! STOP!", at the same time I had torn open the door to my tower. Next I drew my staff and spoke an 'Achio' for the things that were most important to me. Things that the two had not yet found. They had not yet arrived at the night tables, with their blatant invasion of the privacy of me and my comrades. My gaze, after I had taken my things in reception, met the gazes of the two restorers. At first there was clear shock in their looks. But instead of what one might expect, i.e. remorse, gloating followed. And this was combined with a grin that could not have been more expressive. I turned around. And then... I ran. As if through a veil, I was aware of a few students I almost ran into, and I was also only half aware of the things I was clutching in my arms. The only thing that I perceived was the feeling of betrayal, disappointment and the pain that came with it, of having once again been so deceived in people.