4

An: This chapters basically shopping filler. I'm having a large mind blank but I wanted to throw something out until I could figure out what I want for the story. Also, expect zero editing.
    -Your poopy-brained author

The trip to the safe house was relatively boring for Marnie. She thought the mode of transportation was going to be something cool like a supercar or beta tube. It wasn't. Instead, Marnie was escorted by Black Canary's civilian alter ego via normal taxi.

I need to go ahead and lower my expectations.

"A little bat told me you're older than you look, my guess is 17 but correct me if I'm wrong." Dinah had no issue starting a conversation with Marnie. Of course, Dinah already knew the basics that Marnie had told Batman but that didn't stop her from asking straight from the source.

The two talked low enough to not bother the cab driver.

"I'm 19." Marnie corrected despite knowing her body had been "de-aged" a good 3-4yrs give or take. Dinah hummed but didn't say anything to debunk Marnie's claim.

Instead, Dinah gave Marnie a reassuring smile, "19? Still in school?"

Marnie shrugged, "Nope, no college for me. You're looking at a High school dropout."

Dinah frowned at the revelation. It wasn't the answer she was expecting it seemed. "You dropped out?" She pressed the subject a bit more with a, "it's never too late to finish. I could get it sorted out for you."

It was a good offer but Marnie didn't want to take it for multiple reasons. Reason number uno being that she loathed wasting time and school took a large portion of it. Marnie told her as much and was asked why it was such a waste in return.

"I thought high school was going to be different but it was the same, if not worse, as middle school. I had to sit there and listen to teachers regurgitate the same material over and over. I got bored of it real quick." Marnie hated it when her class moved onto another lesson only to realize it was the same thing with only the slightest difference.

"Is that why you dropped out? The course material was repetitive?"

"Nah, I dropped out because I didn't meet the attendance requirements. Too busy with other stuff. It worked out in the end. I g-" Marnie was interrupted by the cab driver.

"Sorry, we're running into a bit of traffic but we'll get there."

Dinah smiled at him, "we're in no rush."

The cab driver looked relieved. Working in a city like this he probably got yelled at all the time because of the slow-going traffic. Marnie pitied him for it.

The rest of the car ride was silent. Dinah mulling over what she discovered and Marnie counting every broken-down building.

When they reached the safe house Dinah paid the driver while saying to Marnie, "We're gonna have to go shopping for food and clothes later but I figured a break wouldn't hurt. This is your new place. I'll stick around and help you clean up but otherwise its yours."

Jeez, hope it doesn't get too windy. I'd hate for the building to tip over. It wasn't much of a safe house as it was an abandoned building with a front door.

"Let's get inside." Dinah went ahead and opened the door to the building. Marnie followed close behind and raised a brow.

The inside was better than she was expecting. A thick layer of dust coated everything but she could tell it was otherwise pristine, not that Marnie would complain if it was a pigsty. As long as no deadly mold or roaches took residency she was A-Okay with the place.

"Hmm, I'll go ahead and put the bedding in the wash," Dinah mumbled. It was a good idea.

"When's the last time anyone stepped foot in this place?" Marnie asked after seeing her feet leave footprints in the dust. While Dinah had her back turned Marnie used her foot to draw a dick.

Dinah turned back around to answer and Marnie was inwardly startled, not expecting the heroine to face her antics. How embarrassing was it to get caught doing something so childish?

Marnie wouldn't know because the moment Dinah looked at the drawing it changed into a smiley face.

Holy shit. Mysterious magic for the win.

Dinah smiled at the doodle, "I'd guess around thirteen years. The league accumulated a mass of safe houses over time. Its safe to assume there are some that have been more-or-less forgotten." With that said Dinah left the living space to start a load of laundry.

Marnie sighed and examined her surroundings a bit more. This was her new base of operations until further notice but the dust was such a bother. Sure, Marnie had stayed in some sketchy places but it didn't mean she liked it.

Marnie p.o.v

I took a quick peak and counted what funds I had leftover from staying at the Gotham Stowaway. A little over twelve hundred remained which, hey, not too bad. It was a decent amount of money and with it I can go out and get some supplies.

"All done," Dinah wiped her hands. I could hear the laundry machine all the way from here. Good thing I had the building to myself or else I'd be receiving noise complaints 24/7.

I packed my wallet into my back pocket and checked my phone. It was still early in the day, 2:26pm. "Cool if we go ahead and step out? I wanna fix the place up and get situated. The faster I do that the faster I can get some aspect of my life back." And take a nap.

Dinah happily agreed and we went adventuring through Gotham.

It was great because she insisted she pay for any necessities but anything more would come out of my pocket. I got an entire wardrobe, enough food to keep me fed for a month, phone charger, and more. The house was already furnished so we didn't need to fret over that. However, I did use the opportunity to buy a tv and ps2 since that's the only thing I really care for, outside of work.

We got in line and I felt my entire body grow anxious as the cashier told us the total. Dinah didn't even hesitate to swipe her card to pay for it.

She has to be using league funds because I doubt she makes bank being a therapist.

Or maybe she does. I don't know.

Then it was my turn to pay for the extra stuff I had grabbed. The tv I got wasn't bad. It was relatively new in this universe but I had owned one a while back and let me say, it's got one hell of a lifespan. The playstation 2 however was a lot cheaper with the playstation 3 having just come out. I would have gotten the 3 but I'd never owned one before. Besides, by the time the PS2 dies the PS4 will be out.

My total was nowhere near what Dinah had to pay. I tried to wipe off the bills before forking them over but by the look of the cashier my efforts were moot. He stared at the crumpled bills coated in god knows what before sighing in resignation.

He handed me my change and receipt before bidding me fairwell.

"Well, I'm ready to go back to the house if you are." I mentioned to Dinah.

"Let's get going then. I'll make sure your settled in before I leave for the night." Dinah pushed her cart in the direction of the car she was using and I followed close behind. "You can cook right?"

I didn't expect the question but nonetheless answered. "Yeah. Did you want to stay for dinner?"

I hadn't planned on making anything but cereal but if she stayed I'd probably try to impress. I'm not bad at cooking, I just don't care to put in the time and effort.

"If you're okay with that." Dinah answered.

I mulled over what I could make with the food we got from the store. "Hope you like chicken and dumplings."

"Chicken and dumplings sound amazing."