05

Wednesday September 6th 1985

📍Hawkins High school

Joanne Henderson

It was halfway through the second week of senior year that things finally started to get interesting. Dustin had joined the schools DND club, he had also started bringing Eddie Munson over to our house almost everyday after school, but Dustin liked Eddie and said that he was just misunderstood. Dustin is usually a pretty good judge of character, so I don't judge.

Nancy and Jonathan have already managed to almost breakup twice so far in the last two weeks since school has started. Nancy says that they are just going through a rough patch because of the long distance with him living in California now, but I think that they have been having the same issues since summer.

Lucy—who I sit with at lunch, has broken up with her junior boyfriend three times since the start of the year. Every time they end things she always complains about how immature he was, but then always takes him back. Girls my age have always confused me, why would you go out with a guy who treats you like crap?

I was walking to chem when I heard someone run up behind me and felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Hey Jo" Robin says trying to catch her breath.

"Hi Robin" I smiled "what can I do for you"

"Well" she began to ramble "I was wondering if maybe- if you aren't already busy of course, which you probably are...but if you aren't" she paused taking a deep breath, "could you maybe give me a ride home" she asked slowing down. "Steve has to go into work early and my mom isn't home" she says giving me a sorry look.

"Yeah Robin that's not problem" I smile

"Okay" she says exhaling "I owe you one" she says.

"You don't owe me anything Robin" I sigh walking towards my locker. "It's just a ride home, no big deal" I say turning the lock and opening the locker door to pull my books out.

"Alright, I have to get to chem or Mr. Slim Is actually going to kill me" I chuckle "see you in French then?" I asked about to walk away.

"Yes, see you in French French" she smiles.

"See you then" I say smiling back before turning in the direction of my chem class and waking towards the door.

"And Jo" I hear Robin call from behind me "thank you" she says before waving and walking in the other direction, I start giggling to myself watching her almost trip over a wet floor sign, then looking up to see if anyone saw her before speed walking away from the scene.

Chem was of course boring, 45 minutes of nothing but notes and having to watch the weird couple who have been together since middle school kiss in the corner of the room.

Gross.

I personally find pda to be disgusting, Nancy says that's once I finally meet "the one" I'll feel differently—but Nancy perception of love has never been exactly ideal. I used to go to Nancy's house in elementary school all the time, but her parents where either always fighting, or they couldn't even look at each other while they spoke.