1

A/N - Since there are many casts of Six, I will be basing appearances off of the original West End cast. In addition, although this is set in the Divergent world, none of the canonical events occurred. Most of the officials will be the same, however.

-------------------------------------------------

Howard's POV

My hand brushes against the tough, gray fabric of my Abnegation uniform as I slip my dark hair into its usual high ponytail, touching each individual strand to insure it wasn't lopsided. The clothing clung to my small, skinny frame, sagging in various places were it was ill-fitting. I let my arms graze the walls of my attic room, running my fingers along the walls for one last time. I didn't belong in Abnegation; it was something I knew in my heart, clear as day. But then again, I had no choice, did I? At the mere age of a few weeks old I was stripped of my family and any choice I could make in my life. I suppose I should be thankful that I don't have to live the rest of my life Factionless, but did it make any difference? I don't belong here. I was forced to be selfless, but there is a line between taught and trained. It wasn't in my blood, and clearly wasn't in any of the other Factionless children here. I slipped a last shred of cloth into my bag, letting my footsteps melt into my peer's as we make our way down the staircase. This was the Abnegation way- but soon, it won't be mine.

I feel my stomach churn as I make my way up the twisting stairs of The Hub, in the midst of a stormy-gray crowd. This was it. Today, I would make the decision that would determine the rest of my life, and I had no idea what to choose. Sure, I had taken the aptitude test like every other 16-year-old. Not that it helped. Years ago I had felt the oppositional tug of my heart, straying between factions. I still feel that pull; it would weigh me down forever, tearing me into pieces. But could today be the day it would finally change? Could I find a place where I belong, a Faction to fight for, to love? I wasn't daring enough to be Dauntless, not sweet, mellow enough to be Amity. And certainly not generous enough to be Abnegation.

As we file soundlessly into the crowded room, I find my eyes flickering to the other factions. The Amity clothed in bright colors, giggling amongst themselves while chatting quietly. The Dauntless, lightly poking their peers in what appears to be a lighthearted game of some sort. The Abnegation-born, sitting primly without a word. I let my mind ponder the groups freely, silently judging each action a member make. When my gaze flew over the monotone crowd of Candor, they fell upon a brunette girl with hair tied in space buns. I caught a glimpse of my own face in the mirror, finding subtle similarities between our faces. Could this be? My caretakers had often mentioned my relatives in other factions, one of them being my cousins. Anne, if I remember correctly. Her mouth twisted into a smirk as her mouth flew open, presumably arguing with the curly-haired girl next to her. The two went silent as the announcer stepped up onto the stage, reciting the Ceremony speech like he had done for years.

I didn't pay much attention to my fellow 16-year-old's choices until he called a familiar name. "Anne Boleyn?" I watched silently as my cousin scampered down the aisle, cutting her hand swiftly with the blade that had been provided for her. She doesn't even flinch... I noted as her blood dripped into the flames, sizzling over the coals. It was a choice many seemed to have expected - as well as a choice that would impact my decision. Anne was my best chance at connecting with any of my family, and I would happily take the opportunity. Dauntless training would help me be braver, no longer the scared little Stiff girl. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to have some sort of training in fighting. My mind unconsciously flickered back to Mannox... to Dereham... they hurt me, used me, forced me to do what they wanted. They bit my lip and pulled my hair, called me the fairest of the fair. The lies woven into their tone as they told me, "we have a connection". I wouldn't take it anymore. I could defend myself.

As my name rang in my ears, I stepped up onto the stage. My hand trembling, I pushed the knife into my palm and let a single drop of blood drip between the empty spot, in the middle of the Amity and Dauntless bowls. A representation of who I truly was. Inhale. Exhale. I moved my bleeding hand over the coals, letting my blood mix with my new faction's. I could be brave. I could be Dauntless.

(784 words)

---------------------------------------------

Yes, all of the queens are 16 to fit with the plot of Divergent.

Updated weekly on Fridays.