2

Howard's POV

I knew I should've known the Dauntless would expect us to land on our feet. Literally. I press my feet down into the ground, feeling the distant vibrations from the rusty train tracks. A few Dauntless-Born bounce on their toes beside me, casting threatening looks at their peers. I mimic them, pushing off of the balls of my feet as the train rumbled closer. A round circle of light appeared around the curve, followed by another as it slid into view. I had watched the Dauntless enough on the way to school to know that it wouldn't stop. Life waits for no one, after all.

I feel the wind blowing at my back, my weight pressed into the floor, then nothing. Just the roar of the zephyr in my ears and the pure adrenaline of my heart racing in my chest. I feel a slight glimmer of satisfaction as my feet slam into the train floor, a pair of hands taking mine and tugging them inside. I find myself face-to-face with the brunette from the Choosing Ceremony, her hair slightly ruffled though still in their space buns. "Anne?" I whisper hoarsely, my breath catching in my throat. "Wow, not even a thank you? I did save your life, after all." The girl remarked, though her tone was lighthearted. "Yes, I'm Anne Boleyn, and yes, we are cousins." I wasn't quite used to these light, sarcastic remarks, though I found myself enjoying them more than the endlessly polite Abnegation children.

I was the first to notice the Dauntless-Born jumping off the train, landing on a roof with varying levels of success. I knew I had to jump, but could I bring myself to do so? I didn't have time to question it as I was pulled out of the car, Anne a few lengths ahead of me. As I landed on the rooftop, I took a few steps to keep my balance and lost my momentum. I can't say the same for Anne; as I turned around, I saw the short girl somehow on top on another's head. "Why am I always the one whose head gets stepped on?" The curly-haired girl mumbled, shoving Anne off of her. "Grace used to do it all the time back in Candor." She complained, sitting up.

"Really, Anne? What in the world were you thinking? You could've gotten us killed/" I found myself muttering, lightly kicking her ankle. Anne just shrugged, gesturing to the leaders who had stepped onto the edge of the roof. They gave us a short lecture on what to do next, though I admit I wasn't listening all that well. I stepped back unconsciously, watching carefully as a tall girl with curly, brown and blonde hair stepped forward. It was the same Candor girl I saw Anne arguing with yesterday, her expression stoic. "That's Catherine of Aragon, by the way. I would advise you not to talk to her, the bitch." I found myself recoiling at the swear, a reminder of a habit I hadn't yet grown out of. "She also does kinda hate my guts." Anne rolled her eyes, staring at Catherine as she stepped out onto the ledge.

As Catherine bent her knees to jump, Anne leaned over to whisper in my ear. "Can I call you Kitty or Kat or something? I really don't want to get my long-lost cousin confused with my mortal enemy." I found myself giggling at the remark, my head bobbing as I replied. "Or Kitkat. Or K. Or anything else you can think of."

A booming voice interrupted out conversation, calling out the name Anne despised so much. "First Jumper - Catherine!" Next was a blonde girl who looked to have tears in her eyes, pushed along by her short, sleep-deprived looking friend. You see Anne's eyes following the shorter girl, her gaze flickering away quickly as she turned to look back.

"C'mon, Janey, you have to jump. It's that or live Factionless and in disgrace for the rest of your life." The sleep-deprived shorty urged, nudging her friend. "Jane Seymour, I will shove you off of this roof if I need you to, but I will not let my best friend become a Factionless living in the streets." The blonde, apparently named Jane whimpered, but she turned around in preparation. Her friend took her hand, and the two leaped off together. I hadn't heard any screaming or splats below yet, so I assumed it was safe to jump.

I took a step forward, followed by a second, a third, until I was at the edge of the roof. I bent my knees, looking up at the blue skies. I closed my eyes, spreading my arms as if an eagle. I pushed off, letting my body relax in the air. The blood pounded in my ears, the fear coursing through my body, and yet it was the best thing I've ever felt. Is this what it feels like to be Dauntless? I wonder as the net cradles my body. I think I like it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Next update on 8/5

The ships will be katanna, aramour, and parrlyn, which will start developing as Anna is introduced next chapter.