੭ु⁾🌿 𝐓𝐎𝐉𝐈 - saviour

flora's notes : this is a set in a mythology au, toji is a greek god, upcoming part 2 !

The practice of worshipping was transmitted from generation to generation in the village. It is said that Toji, God of War, defended your village's very early inhabitants from the bloodthirsty and greedy soldiers sent by Satoru, God of Mind, Toji's rival. As a powerful god, Satoru was respected by all, but his desire to expand his territory and strength caused his downfall. By working on a spell with the survivors of your village who possess sorcerer abilities, Toji was able to free the soldiers' minds from Satoru's control. The combined cursed energy of those sorcerers could only be endured by his mind. From then on, Toji was hailed as a hero, he was the Saviour. With time, his temples were built and his status elevated, and you grew up believing he was the one to whom you owed your life.

In spite of your family's insistence that worshipping your God and Saviour is paramount, you could not help but wonder whether he really existed and if he was watching over you, as they said. Even so, you stood steadfastly before his altar day after day. Doing so made you feel protected and cared for. Unbeknownst to you, he watched over you from dusk until dawn, never losing sight of you. As you were to become the leader of your tribe when you turned 20, your Saviour had to protect you, right?

Toji had no one to confide in after taking the God of the Gods, Satoru Gojo down, he was hated by his brethrens but loved by the ones he saved. He did not care much for appreciation of others, he was not looking for validation from anyone, he did what he thought was right. Although, his heart grew fond of those who have been loyal to him since the dawn of time, especially your family. He witnessed the Hinode family hand down the reins many times, but none of them would be quite like you. Upon your birth, he knew you would be the leader Komorebi had long awaited.

Your parents were to be your mentors on the day you will sit on the throne, but instead, they were murdered in cold-blood by some of Satoru Gojo's followers on your 20th birthday. You thought there would be no trace of the God of Minds as the event that confronted him to Lord Toji occurred a long time ago. The death of your parents was the first time you lost someone and as much as you put on a strong facade in public, in private you were absolutely shattered. Tears forming in your eyes as you walked past the many portraits of them in your household, heart shrinking at the thought of your moments shared together. Toji saw how much pain you were in but most surprisingly, he felt it.

Never in his life has Toji shared the emotions of a human and he hated it. There was no way for him to determine whether he hated seeing you in pain, or else that he was somewhat bonded to you. He was experiencing an insufferable impression of weakness. Being linked to a mortal was the worst thing that could happen to him. For hours on end he was infuriating merely at the thought. He had a hard time getting used to the idea. For the first time since you came to the world, he did not watch over you. He tried his hardest to keep his mind off your face...off of the way your smile beamed in the sunlight, filtering through the trees of your village when you kneeled in front of his outdoor altar. No, he disgusted himself, why was he thinking that of someone he never met ? He forced himself not to look at you, but he acknowledged a sense of guilt. One last time, he gazed upon you, against his better judgement, but for the sake of his heart, and saw you crying at his altar.

Regardless of how much he obliged himself not to care about you, he had enough of seeing you suffer on your own. He knew humans were sensitive beings who needed to talk in order to feel better, which he deemed utterly stupid. He wanted to provide a safe haven for you to confide in, to take your pain away – his pain away. He had to meet you, to hear your voice close to his ear, to see your eyes meet his as you delivered him that bright smile of yours. While you gave your heart and soul to maintain the welfare of the residents, you were enduring the death of the only family you had left. Why did a kind heart such as yours had to be left abandoned ? You deserved so much love, support and attention. No one reached out to you, adding to your pain. He saw your ethereal face getting tainted day by day by marks of fatigue, eyebags digging into your cheeks and your so beautiful smile was fading as the grief ate you alive.