4- "Here You Come Again"

The next time I wake, the big breathing device is removed and a simple oxygen tube is in my nose. That has to be a sign that things are getting better and maybe I'll get to go home soon. Home. The place I shared with Rebecca, the place I found her bent over mewling like a cat in heat as the person I thought of as a brother had his way with her. At first it bothered me Rebecca cheated on me, but I think what hurt the most was Joshua betraying me the way he did. I never in a million years thought he would be capable of hurting me in such a way.

My throat hurt and I hit the button on the remote to get a nurse, wondering if the woman I talked to before was real or a drug induced mirage. A few minutes later, a chubby black headed woman comes in and checks my vitals.

" I'm thirsty. My throat is on fire." I say to her before she sticks a thermometer to my forehead.

"I bet you're hungry too. I'll go get you some food and stuff to drink, ok?" She says as she takes my blood pressure. "Everything is looking good. You will probably get to go home tomorrow. " She pats my arm, " I'll be right back with your grub."

I flip through the channels on the television, but nothing good is on. I would check my messages and email, but I didn't have my phone on me when I went storming into a burning house. How crazy am I? Did Rebecca and Joshua fuck me up that bad that I no longer cared about my safety? Or did I just want to save the little boy next door? Don't get me wrong, I want to live, but my head was in the wrong space after all that happened and there was no hesitation when I broke the window into the house. I can honestly say, that saving the kid was probably the most exciting thing that was ever going to happen to me, so it's all down hill from here.
"Brung you some lunch sweetie. " I turn and look and it's a different nurse standing there than before. It was my Angel, her gorgeous gray eyes, long brown hair thrown in a messy bun, her shapely curves, nope she definitely was not a dream.

"My Angel." I say with a smirk," I thought I dreamed you up." I flip the switch on the bed to help me sit up.

"Oh come on like your imagination could be this good." She points to herself, laughs then winks. I swear it's taking everything in me from jumping out of this bed and kissing her, ok the fact I'm hooked up to tubes and have a broken leg might be a hurdle that's keeping from it too. But, damn she is the most gorgeous woman I have ever laid eyes on.

"I don't know Angel, my imagination is working overtime right now and trust me I have no complaints." I smile at her and wink back.

Her face turns red and I know I embarrassed her, but fuck does she look good with her flushed cheeks and shyness that hits her.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that. I mean its true, but my mouth sometimes has no filter." I say as she scoots the rolling table with a tray of food up to me.

"I know you're just joking around, no need to apologize Jolene." She says as she pats my arm," I mean umm Ms. McAlister."

"No, Angel I wasn't joking. Want to go on a date with me sometime?" I say as I tip up the glass of juice and enjoy the coldness in my throat.

"Sorry, can't. You're my patient." She says dismissively.

" I won't be tomorrow, I'm getting out. So, let's say Saturday at 8? We could chill at my place order in and watch a movie?" I have never been so bold before, but I really like her.
She slips me her phone and tells me to put my number in, so I do and take a picture.
"I don't have my phone on me, I didn't think to grab it before becoming a hero." I hand her back her phone.

" Eat then get some rest." She says as she moves a strand of hair out of my face and I feel a tingle lingering where her finger touched me. "Umm Jolene do you remember what you wrote to me yesterday?"

I look at her like she grew seven heads, I'm confused, I wrote her a letter? Oh.fuck. what did it say?

"I'm sorry I don't remember. What did it say?"

" oh, it's nothing don't worry about it." She walks out of my room and leaves me confused as hell.

I don't know what I said to her, but I do know one thing though.
I'm in love with Angel the nurse and I'm going to make her mine. I think to myself as I take a bite of the nastiest oatmeal ever made, maybe I should find out her last name first though.