Chapter Eight

Logan's POV

I sat up all night twisting and turning, unable to get the slightest relief of sleep. It was easier to let yourself go when you didn't have a pit of guilt sinking farther and farther down into your stomach.

All I've wanted in these past eight years was to be home with dad and Stiles, but I've never wanted to leave more than I do right now. If we stay, then they might get caught in the crossfire and I couldn't live with myself if that happened.

"Can't sleep?" Daniel asked as he leaned against my doorframe.

Why did he always have to show up at the times when all I want to do is punch him in his stupid face?

"Go away." I groaned as I pulled my pillow over my head to somehow hide from him which I knew was only going to make things worse in the long run.

I heard his quiet creepy laugh as he walked up and ripped the cover from off of my head, I opened my eyes only to have my mouth covered before I could gasp at him being three inches away from me.

"Get the hell off of me!" I yelled, muffled as I threw him to the floor.

We both knew that he wasn't about to start something with dad being right down the hall, because Daniel doesn't want to raise suspicion to our motives of being here in the first place.

"Let me tell you something Logan. We came here for one reason and one reason only, and it looks to me like you're beginning to question your loyalties," he stalked closer back to the bed and wrapped his hand around my forearm, only to squeeze until I felt the pain surging through the bones,"I will not have a traitor in the midst, and you will not even think about going against me because I swear you this Logan,"he leaned down to my ear before whispering the last part,"I will make you regret it."

Then he was up and gone without another word. He left me in absolute shock with a ghostly pale face and a racing heart to show for it.

.....

Once I was able to slow down my breathing and get my heart rate down, that's when I was able to fully process what had just happened with Daniel.

He was going insane, we all knew it, but no one was saying it. He was letting nonexistent power go to his head and it was turning him into a raging psychopath.

There was absolutely no way that Sierra was going to side with me on this one because of how devoted she is to Daniel and the job, but if he kept going like this, he was going to lose more than his position in ranking. 

He was going to lose himself.

How was I going to be able to stop that from happening? Daniel outranks me in every possible category you can think of.

There was only one thing that I could think of to do right now, and that was to warn Stiles of what was coming.

If I was lucky, he might hear me out and leave town before it goes up in the flames of Daniel's wrath, and yes I'm aware of how cheesy that sounds, but those are his words not mine.

I knew that I could find him right now if I tried hard enough, but the problem with that is that I knew with absolute certainty that I wasn't going to be able to sneak past Daniel without him being suspicious of what I was doing, so I guess it was going to have to wait until I could sneak into his school and find him tomorrow.

There is a complication with that one too though. Sierra goes there with him, and even if it actually has nothing to do with him, she's still keeping an eye out for him, and if she sees me there, she'll tell Daniel, and Daniel will kill me. Either that, or he'll beat me bloody until I beg him to kill me.

Both of those options are less than preferable, so I guess that I'm just going to have to work around them, and hope that I manage to do this without setting everything into motion faster than it was planned to be executed.

......

"And just where do you think you're going?" Daniel asked, as I made my way to the door that next morning.

I rolled my eyes, and turned to him with the most annoyed look I could muster at the moment, which wasn't as hard as one might think.

"Well I was going to go take a walk, but apparently you think that you have the right to actually ask me that so now I have to sit here and deal with your stupidity when I could be outside taking in the fresh air by now." I shot right at him.

His face got so red with anger that he almost lunged at me but then dad walked in the room and we both settled down before things got uglier than they needed to be.

"How are you boys doing this morning? Hope your beds weren't too uncomfortable?"

Daniel just rolled his eyes like the absolute dick that he is but I on the other hand gave a one hundred percent genuine smile towards him and answered his questions.

"Honestly, the beds are way more comfortable than I remembered them being, and as for how I'm doing, I'm doing great dad, how are you doing?"

He looked shocked that I actually seemed to care which broke my heart more than I am willing to admit that it did.

After a second though he smiled as he handed me the second coffee cup he had filled as he avoided Daniel.

"I'm doing pretty good now that I actually got to talk to you. It seems like we haven't actually spoken to each other since you got back home."

He wasn't wrong, but it didn't seem like now was going to be the time for us to have that chat, and he realized that too because he looked down at his watch and sighed.

"But unfortunately we're not going to be able to talk right now either because I have to get to the station. Walk me out?" I nodded and flipped Daniel off behind his back before walking out the door.

Now I just have to get to that school.