chapter twenty two

Mark drummed his fingers on the steering wheel, impatiently staring at the red light ahead. He was already running late; this was the last thing he needed. He tugged at his uniform collar.

He gave a sigh of relief as the light flashed green. Speeding down the road, his mind wandered to Callie. Would she actually follow through and go to the station? Part of him was skeptical, knowing how much slack she gave Peter. The man could kill someone, and she would still try to defend him. While he knew she would stand by anyone she loved, he wasn't sure he wanted her to. It had its downsides. It could make Callie someone she wasn't.

Parking his car, he tried to focus on his job. He pushed the glass doors open, stepping inside with a smile. "Morning, Ms. Owens," he called to the receptionist.

She looked up, her frown softening as she realized who was talking to her. She absently twirled a strand of short brown hair. "Oh, good morning, Officer Lee."

Mark nodded at her. "How are you doing today?"

The woman took a moment to think. "I'm doing well, thank you. How are you?"

Mark thought himself an honest man. An honest man who knew there was more harm in the truth than little white lies at times.

"I'm doing great. Have a good day, Ms. Owens!"

She smiled, waving shyly as Mark made his way down the hallway. He busied himself with files and traffic tickets for a while, reviewing court dates and other minor details. It was the type of slow summer morning that could put him to sleep.

Growing bored, he stood up from his chair and looked at the clock. It was nearing lunchtime. He walked out of the room into the familiar hallway, making his way to Hollis's office. He had a lot to talk to her about.

Walking down the hallway, he nearly ran into the woman he was going to see. She gasped, stepping back.

"Jesus Christ, Lee, watch where you're going," Hollis said, shaking her head. Her light brown hair was pulled into a tight braid, snaking over shoulder.

"Sorry. I was coming to see you anyways," he leaned against the wall, suddenly growing somber. "Did she come by this morning?"

Hollis bit her lower lip. Bingo.

"She gets defensive so fast. It gets in your head, keeping you out of hers," she sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

Mark knew that Callie did that at times. Just a little off putting, tense, anything to make you back off. She didn't do it too often, only whenever she had enough of someone.

Mark didn't enjoy being on the receiving end.

"What's your next move?" He asked, meeting Hollis's eyes.

She stood tall, looking like the textbook definition of a successful detective. "Mikey's bar. It's where Cal said he went, so I figure I'll go look around the parking lot and general area, talk to Mikey, see if he remembers who else was there that night?"

Mark gave a low whistle. "It was a Friday. Dozens of folks were probably in and out," he warned.

Hollis smirked, and it made him nervous for whoever she would be speaking to. "I only need one person."

Frightening indeed.

She rested her hands on her hips. "Hope you're not too busy, because you're coming with me."

He smiled, head falling back. His saving grace.

"Would I rather help you interview or sit here making more coffee?" he said, already walked down the hallway.

Close behind him, she hummed softly. "I wouldn't want to drag you away from anything important."

Pushing open the doors and letting in the humid air, he called over his shoulder, "Your turn to pay for lunch."