VIII - Waiver

But I was not counting on only seeing him there, though.

Or maybe I was, deep down. Who would spend some minutes of their Autumn Saturday afternoon in the school to see a random group that includes me, anyway? This had everything to go wrong, at the end of the day, only I was too much excited and had too much hopes to be able to see it in the first place. A part of me just hopes this isn't those One Direction dudes' doing. I have spread the announcements that we'd be doing a concert in this place at this time very explicitly, so it would certainly be selfish of them to do some concert of theirs knowing about ours.

"Turn it up!" Principal Davis orders while upon a ladder to open the last of the small high windows around the empty seats playing our only crowd and making me wonder if at least they are enjoying it. I keep my face frowned and sigh hopelessly at the Principal's incentives, but still grateful for them. I'd be back home by now, if it wasn't for him sensing my waiver and committing to not let it get a hold on me.

Caroline does as he said herself, stepping from behind her keyboard she's been just casually jamming on, just like I am doing on my guitar, and heading to the equipment on the side of the stage. Soon a stronger jolt of sound comes from the speakers as I don't stop the calm solo. I don't even have the motivation to do bending.

With my head low I don't notice her coming towards me, and only do when she suddenly hugs my shoulders.

"Surely no one will come if you keep playing like your little brother." I hear the smirk in her calm voice next to my ear, sending a shiver down my spine out of nowhere and freezing me in place. She squeezes me a little tighter for a second longer before pulling away and returning to her place, leaving me to stare after her and thinking about her teasing words. That was her teasing me, right?

Before I can do anything, though, now it's the sound of her keys shouting through the speakers, and I remain there foolishly watching as she takes the control of everything by playing The Final Countdown.

"You really like Europe, don't you?" I ask loud enough to manage and get another smirk from her. I swear I hear Principal Davis cheering up at her in surprise, and when I look out the stage to him, he's moving his arms in the air while heading to the entrance to open the double door wide. He glances back at us and makes me a sign to keep going before walking away to the hallway.

So I put my guitar away, and start singing the lyrics to an empty auditorium. I mess a bit with it, having to simply do it like 'lalala' sometimes. It makes Caroline laugh and shake her head as if disappointed, and I keep sending her sorry looks and chuckles on the microphone.

Our voices and her keyboard are all we are resumed to, in this moment. It plays so loud there isn't space for a single worry to even dangle in through the small windows. That's why I also don't even notice the first people that just come in. With my back turned to them, is by glancing at Caroline and her amusingly curious eyes looking out the stage that I get curious too myself.

My voice cracks a bit when I see a group of three girls and two boys around our age. They remain at the door for some moments, as if evaluating if it's worth it and safe to come closer with almost scared looks on their faces. Now I can't help but be a little bit nervous; there's finally someone watching us. Am I singing well? Do they like this song? Are they going to leave and tell everybody else how we suck? I don't want that. We might not be the best, but I'm pretty sure we are not that bad at all given the few more people that arrive.

While the groups exchange the world is definitely going crazy for good glances between them, I glance at Caroline ending the song, to see what are her thoughts on all of this. Somehow, that shy smile of hers puts me at a strange ease, even if just for a split second, and in that moment my mind wonders why the hell do I worry about anything at all, when she's here with that cute happiness making the dark blue of her eyes turn into the sparkling one of the night sky.