Chapter 3: It's Okay (Part 1)

Requested by mlb2008 - Marinette has ADHD, which Miss Bustier cannot handle. Cue in a protective Chloè and Ms Mendeleiev who actually put's the 'teach' in teacher!

I hope I have depicted ADHD accurately. If not, please let me know.

Marinette was currently in the back of the classroom, to the generosity of Lila and several other classmates who deemed her as selfish. Why selfish? Well, apparently Lila, having pulled the tinnitus card, which Marinette called out on, was enough to warrant a seat change. Miss Bustier, being the enabler she was, let this action happen due to her pushing on the point that Marinette should set an example. An example? Ha!

"No...it's not fair..." Marinette mumbled under her breath. She was looking at her lap, where she was fiddling with a piece of string. It was cut from her commission she was working on last night. The outfit involved a lot of knitting, a rather unique design to say the least, so Marinette found herself mimicking the knitting motion with her fingers and string. It was all she could focus on.

"Marinette!" Miss Bustier all but barked, making Marinette shake her head and look at the teacher, with everyone looking at her. Some looks contained annoyance.

"S-sorry," Marinette said as she rubbed her eyes.

Having spent so long on the commission, she hadn't slept properly, nor had she drunk or eaten anything. Her mother had tried to offer her breakfast this morning but she rushed out of the bakery in order not to be late.

"Can you answer this question?" Miss Bustier said as she gestured to the board, which had an equation on it. Marinette was so tired she could barely see it.

"No...sorry," Marinette said.

"Sorry isn't good enough. I expect better off of you, to set an example to everyone," Miss Bustier said.

"I didn't sleep well... would it be okay if I came to the front to see the board better?" Marinette asked, knowing what the answer would be but had a small amount of hope.

"B-but..." Lila faked whimpered, causing more glares at the bluenette.

"Marinette! I have had enough of this! It's bad enough you're not being considerate to others, but now you're slacking off in class and not paying attention!" Miss Bustier sad crossly.

"There's...a reason..." Marinette said quietly.

Her ADHD had been documented in her school file when she had been diagnosed. It was quite clear that Miss Bustier had NOT looked at it, or she would know what was going on. When she had first been told she had ADHD, she was scared as she didn't know how she'd managed it. No one aside from her parents knew, bar teachers, and she didn't want to tell her friends. Well, after Lila came along, she was glad she didn't. There was a huge chance that they would say she's making it up, and saying it now would definitely look that way. It's why she hated people like Lila, with people who actually had conditions, weren't taken seriously and the fact that Lila was using them to her advantage was sickening.

"Marinette there is no excuse for slacking off. Now pay attention," Miss Bustier said sharply as she turned back to the board. Marinette did not miss the sly smirk Lila shot her before turning back. The disappointed look from Adrien killed her inside a little too.

She just wished that someone would understand. Little did she know, that the most unlikely of people did.

*****

As the bell rang for lunch, and another harsh lecture from the teacher came, with people watching her, Marinette was quick to run to the bathroom, ignoring the jeers that followed. Tikki watched her owner from the purse as she locked herself in the toilet and pulled her feet up so no one could see. It wasn't fair. Once Marinette had explained it to Tikki, she understood. Marinette often when days on projects without taking breaks on commissions, homework, Ladybug duties and even when her so called friends were asking for free favours. Marinette still fidgeted with the string in her hands, going over the design in her head. It has to be perfect, it has to be perfect, it has to be perfect...