━ seventeen

-ˏˋ ━━━━━━━ ˊˎ-

dawn.

MIKE CARRIED FLORENCE all the way back to the lodge, keeping his arm wrapped around her waist the whole time to secure her limp figure to him

MIKE CARRIED FLORENCE all the way back to the lodge, keeping his arm wrapped around her waist the whole time to secure her limp figure to him. He wasn't leaving her behind or letting her get killed after everything the had been through. He wasn't breaking his unspoken promise to Josh. He refused.

Meanwhile, Florence found herself stuck in a trance as Mike helped her up the stairs of the lodge. It was there that the two of them found Sam pounding on the front door.

"Sam." Mike spoke, grabbing Sam's attention.

"Shit, Mike. You look terrible." Sam gaped, panting heavily. She looked Mike and Florence over and that was when she noticed that Florence had that distinct distant look in her eyes — and that Josh wasn't with them. Her heart dropped immediately, as she knew exactly what happened. Josh wasn't with them because he wasn't coming back.

"Gonna look worse if we stay out here." Mike told her. He still had Florence safely tucked underneath his arm. He didn't plan on letting her go until he had a place for her to sit and stay until he was sure they were safe. There was no way he was letting her out of his sight after what happened in the caves.

"Okay." Sam breathed before picking up a rock beside the door and using it to break the glass on the door. She had to push away the tragedy of the fact that Josh was gone and focus on getting off of this forsaken mountain. With determination radiating from her body, she reached through the broken glass and opened the door.

Once they were all inside the lodge, Sam looked back at Mike. She had to ask the dreaded question. "Mike, what happened to Josh?"

Florence winced, all of the memories suddenly flooding back to her. Her heart shattered all over again and tears rose in her bloodshot eyes. All she could hear were Josh's pained pleads and screams. All she could see was the Wendigo ripping Josh out of the water and further into the mines. All she could feel was the grieved scream she let fall from her lips. There was so much pain washing over her all at once.

"It got him." Mike answered, despite feeling Florence tense up underneath him. Sam had a right to know what happened to her friend and he had an obligation to tell her.

"Oh, God. What an awful way to go." Sam sighed. She didn't think Josh would make it back when she left them earlier, but knowing that he didn't was somehow worse than that. Even though it felt like a part of Josh, the sane part, had gone away a long time ago, it still hurt knowing that he was dead. She couldn't even begin to imagine how Florence felt.

"What do you think we should do now?" Sam asked Mike after taking a moment to process Josh's death. They had to focus on getting off of the mountain and away from the imminent danger all around them before they could properly grieve.