Chapter Thirteen

“Darla seemed angry today,” Dylan spoke as we both sat on the kitchen bar stools for a late-night snack. 

“She had every right to be.” I took a large bite of the fresh watermelon Dylan had just cut up for himself.

“Was her arm badly hurt?” I looked over at Dylan who looked all curious about her. 

“Yeah. Silver did a number on her arm.” I took another bite as he nodded. 

“She noticed how you all were acting weird towards her,” I told him. I knew the way they were acting like this was obvious. There was no way she wouldn’t notice it. But when she asked me, I was kind of stumped. I didn’t know what to answer. 

“Shit. Did she say anything about us?” He raised a brow.

“She thinks that you all think she is weird.” Dylan sighed. 

“Her pretty face overshadows her weirdness.” I knew he was joking. It was written on his face. From the fake innocence to the quirk on his lips. But that didn’t stop me from grabbing a fistful of his shirt. He jumped up as I punched him in the chest. He coughed loudly and jerked my hand away.

“I was joking.” He held his chest and scowled with pain. “Man, you packed a strong punch.” 

“You shouldn’t joke about things like that.” I put the leftover watermelon on the plate. 

“Don’t get all serious now.” Dylan pouted. He has always been like this. The joker. The child. The one who gets punched by me the most because of the shit he says.

“You ruined the mood. I'm going to sleep now.” I waved him off and walked towards the stairs.

“Hey, okay last question”

“What?” I sighed and turned to him. Dylan's face turned all serious. 

“Earlier today, she came inside the house when we were all out. Isn’t that weird?” His question made sense. From his perspective. From mine, the question was entirely nonsensical. 

“Come on, man. It’s Darla.” I deadpanned. Dylan nodded as he understood it. But then he turned to me and made a large gesture with his hand.

“And I am supposed to understand that?” He raises a brow. Now, I need to fucking explain it all too. 

“She and I have been going to each other's house for years. There is no need to worry about it.” I was trying to not give too much information away. I didn’t want them to know about our past. It was just for us to know. 

“If you say so.” Dylan shrugs. “I mean she doesn’t look like the kind to kill me in my sleep.”

“Don’t worry. Her target won’t be you.” I almost smiled at that. Dylan narrowed his eyes. 

“Tell, me honestly. Is she your cousin?” I scowled.

“No.”

“Then why haven't I heard about her from you before? If she is such a good friend that can come here uninvited?” He was doing something. He was trying to get something out of me. What? That I didn’t know. 

“She was my friend,” I told him. 

“What did she do?” Dylan automatically made her the villain. 

“I did.”

“You?” He pointed at me and I rolled my eyes. “The Mr. Nice guy who even rejects girls ever so nicely they think they have a chance? You who talk to your cat about everything? You who cannot even correct the professor because you don’t want them to feel embarrassed? You who let our classmate live in your apartment rent-free for a month because he didn't have anywhere else to go to?