Chapter 3

“The beginning of summer begins when the sun shines, a cool breeze starts, birds begin to sing, and friends become closer.”

Chapter 3

Ding dong! Ding dong! The bell in the front room went off as my grandpa Bob came in the house. I got up off the bed and darted towards the door. I jumped over the step and attacked my grandpa. I hugged him and he squeezed back.

“I’ve missed you.” I told him in a loud voice that echoed through the house. IN the few seconds of silence, I could hear footsteps coming towards us.

“I’ve missed you too.” He said just as loud, smiling. “How’s that mother of yours?”

“Good, missing you and grandma, but good.” I smiled and gave him another hug and then turned around. “Grandpa, this is Erin and this is Nichole. They are my friends that I’m going on vacation with this summer.” I said as I pointed to them and smiled.

“Well hi there. I’m Bob and you will have a blast here.” He said as he gave them each individual smiles and walked past and down the hall.

“Yeah, so that’s my grandpa.” I smiled and they did in return.

“He seems really nice.” Nichole said as she broke the awkward silence.

“Yeah...” Erin agreed and she walked toward our room and we both followed.

We walked to the spare room and I grabbed my flip-flops from my suitcase and put them on. I walked down the hall toward the kitchen to tell my grandma and grandpa that we were going to the dock for a bit.

“Where are you going?” Erin asked as she struggled to put her shoes on.

“To the dock. Go tell Nichole.” I told her. Then she ran down the hall to get Nichole. I waved to my grandparents and yelled that we were going down to the lake as I headed to the porch. A few moments later, they were by my side and we were walking down the front lawn. We had to pause at the road because a bunch of trucks and cars were going by. So when they stopped and let us cross we ran and laughed when we got to the other side.

The air by the water was colder than by the house. We walked down the steps to get to the dock. As I stepped foot on the dock a flash of good memories fluttered over me. I just stood there while Erin and Nichole walked past me to scout out the dock. I finally snapped out of it and ran up to them. We stood on the edge of the dock, staring down at the pond. The water was clear and I could see the tire on the bottom and some fish coming up towards the surface looking for food. We walked onward, looking at the boat, and inside the shed where we catch fish. Then I showed them the sliding bored and the roof top. I stared at the water and so did they. I knew this summer would be wonderful. All of a sudden, the water started to ripple and I glanced up to the sky, getting wet on my cheek. I realized it was starting to rain and at Harvey’s Lake; it rained hard and got heavy quick. So we got up and ran up the docks stairs and by the road, waiting for the cars to let us cross. It felt like forever as we covered our heads with our arms and finally crossed the busy road and into the house.

As we flew open, the door the smell of fresh fruit and pancakes flew in our faces. Mmmmm I thought. My grandpa made the best pancakes. We walked to the kitchen and my grandma wavered for us to sit down. I sat at the chair next to my grandpa, and Erin and Nichole sat next to me and my grandma. We waited for my grandpa to bring us over our plates. First were grandma, then Nichole and Erin then me and grandpa. It looked delicious! Two light, fluffy pancakes with very light cream cheese in between with freshly picked strawberries and blueberries with a cup of water. Grandpa always took care of his guests like family. I could tell that the berries were previously picked because I found a few sticks on the counter when I put the dishes in the sink.