𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

a/n: i listened to lana del rey while writing this chapter...you could prolly tell. also there's a bit of smut at the end, skip it if u don't wanna read it :)

chapter 019

〚♜〛

STEPHANIE HARRINGTON had a semi-horrible day at school –the whole situation with Jason really cheered her up–, and now, as she entered the house, she was counting down the minutes until Eddie came and picked her up at eight. As soon as she walked in through the door, she noticed her parent's bags by the door, which made her day a bit better, but this meant it may be harder for her to leave tonight.

Her mother would try to keep her home to 'spend quality time with her daughter' but in the end, she would only end up sitting with her to watch TV for ten minutes then she would go to bed to catch some sleep before running off the next morning before her kids woke up. The routine was so predictable probably because it happened every single time her parents decided to go home. Her father didn't even try to pretend that he cared about his children, he just shot out complaints and orders and that was that.

Steve was working a long shift today so he finished work at 5:30 instead of 4:00 and Stephanie was waiting until Steve got home to tell her parents that she had plans tonight. She figured since he was the obvious favourite, if he would defend her in case things went sour, they'd be more inclined to let her go in the end.

"You guys leaving early?" Steve sounded upset as he walked into the house, probably spotting their bags, but Stephanie could sense the undertone of relief in his voice. Ever since returning their dad kept pestering him about college and what program Steve should study to be able to take over his company after he decides to kick the bucket. Steve obviously didn't want any of it, but he never seemed to express his thoughts, it would be no use anyway.

Stephanie was sure she'd have to fund her own education since her father believed she didn't need a degree, she just needed to marry rich.

She didn't want to marry for money, she wanted to marry for love, well if she was being honest she didn't really want to get married at all.

Steve walked into the kitchen, watching as Petunia wiped her hands on her pink apron that Stephanie was so used to seeing her brother wear, "Unfortunately honey." She didn't sound disappointed at all. "Your dad got a call today, we have to be in Vegas by tomorrow afternoon so we need to leave early tomorrow morning."

"Oh okay," Steve shrugged.

Stephanie only rolled her eyes at her mother's comment, she continued stirring the bowl of cake batter. Another thing her mother did before leaving, she always made a cake for her kids but Stephanie always ended up making it since she claimed she was 'very busy' to do it herself. Maybe if Jack would get off his ass and do something, she wouldn't be so busy. But what did she know anyway? She was just a kid.

Her mother seemed to catch onto Stephanie's sour expression, "What's up baby?"

She didn't know if it was from the previous annoyance at her classmates, or the fact that she was just so sick and tired of her parents walking into this goddamn house every blue moon and pretending they were a perfect family –well her mother at least. This annoyance, mixed with a small amount of newfound confidence caused her to scoff, "Cut the bullshit."

"Excuse me. Your language," Petunia seemed thoroughly shocked at her daughters words, glancing at Steve to see him staring at his sister with wide eyes, watching as she finally snapped.