10: TOO MUCH ALCOHOL?

Xavier, handsome in dark teal and bedecked with a fit-tailored suit, studied her intently with his dark eyes. Aditi stood in front of him in a pearl pink suede evening dress. It had long sheer puffed sleeves with intricate flower beading at the torso making it seem like she came right out of a fairytale. Not to mention, the A-line neckline that accentuated her already prominent collarbones. He left his spot and approached her, stopping to hold out his hand for hers. Gladly taking his, she received a gentle kiss.

"Might I say, Ms. Veer, you look less terrible today." His eyes held a glint of humour.

"I cannot say the same about you, unfortunately," she snickered, taking in her surroundings. People had begun dancing suggesting they were slightly late but most importantly, that the buffet was open to be feasted upon.

"Look at me," he frowned as he gently forced her chin to face him. Xavier leaned closer to her and hoped the rhythm of his heartbeat wasn't as loud to her as it was to him. The only response she could muster was a gracious smile of confusion. He carefully, yet so gently, cleaned the corner of her lips with his thumb.

"You had a trace of lipstick there," he whispered, a faint smile on his face.

Fingers travelling to her lips, Aditi's smile flooded in and Xavier handed her a drink. "It's non-alcoholic," he reassured. She absently took the glass and downed the condiments. Aditi seemed a little lost tonight. Xavier longed to delve into her mind just to uncover what was bothering her.

"Would you like to dance?"

Aditi turned around to find the host himself extending a hand towards her.

"I'd love to, Mr. Blanc," she smiled in response, holding out her hand.

Matthieu smiled, taking her hand as he put his other hand on her waist. Aditi stepped forth, following him to the right, forming a box with her feet. She was nervous, but returned his smile.

"You dance well," he said with a smile, and he dipped her back and she simply responded, "A dancer only as good as their dance partner." He pulled her back, chuckling lightly, a soft kind of laugh and she smiled as he twirled her. Red blush adorned her face as he placed his hand back on her waist.

Hand hugging a glass of scotch, Oscar approached his brother who had his arms crossed. Xavier's surroundings were darkened by her, a distraction. With a heavy heart, he tried to dismiss the surge of jealousy. He felt a lurch in his stomach as he set sights on Aditi and his friend, Matthieu.

"What a shame you absolutely hate dancing," a voice taunted from beside him. For all Oscar knew, Xavier undisputedly did not like dancing or as what he would call it– 'movements of a jester.'

"It doesn't matter."

"That could have been you, you know," he commented.

"Shut your mouth, Oscar, or I'm going to have to shove that glass down your throat," Xavier snapped. "I do not care."

The dance continued for a while and it came to a point where partners had to be exchanged. Aditi was passed from person to person and by far, most of them were very polite with grounded manners. Now in the lull between songs, she disentangled herself from her dancing partner before taking up a random hand near her. The touch of skin seemed familiar and before she could register, she was pulled into an intimate embrace. A friendly face guided his armed hand up her back and a chill went through her.

"Lord Hendrix. Had your fair share of dances and now you wish to dance with the best, I assume?" she whispered, her eyes squinting in self-confidence.

"Just be quiet," Xavier mithered.