12: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ADITI

Crash.

Aditi was rudely awakened by the clanging of pots and pans coming from the kitchen. She yawned and looked around, reluctant to leave the warmth of her messy covers. Sunlight streamed in from the curtains parting around windows, and she covered her eyes, turning away from the light.

Clang.

The sounds of utensils falling on the floor forcefully tore her sleep from her, forcing her to get up and investigate. Aditi pulled her covers back and got up, her lingerie falling down to her mid-thigh, and walked towards the door. She started to get more concerned when she realised that only one person had the key to this house.

As she made her way down the hallway, the stark smell of vanilla and pancakes increased in potency until she reached the door frame that led into the kitchen. She popped her head around the corner and saw what may have been the funniest sight she had ever seen.

Zafar was standing in the kitchen with a towel over his shoulder, flipping pancakes and Xavier had occupied himself on the floor. Scattered around him were pots, pans, and utensils of all different sorts, that had seemingly been dropped by Zafar in many clumsy accidents. He noticed her head peeking around the corner, and gave her an assuring smile, trying to convince her that what they were doing was not too bad. She waved to Xavier and offered a questioning glance, addressing the kitchenware on the floor.

"In my defence," Xavier started, "I am not the greatest cook, so I thought it was best I was of some other help."

Zafar just gave a small chuckle and motioned for Aditi to sit down at the counter.

"How was your sleep?" He put large portions of breakfast on her plate, sliding it across the counter as he spoke.

"Great! In fact, it was very peaceful until, you know..." She tilted her head in the direction of the mess on the floor. He shrugged.

"My hands were greasy. I didn't mean to drop them, but it is good that you came out before your food got cold. I wouldn't want to serve up cold pancakes now, would I?" He slid over a glass of fresh milk.

"Thank you for cooking, it is oddly thoughtful of the both of you. But I have to ask– why?"

Xavier paused in his dish collecting to look at her. He furrowed his brow, as if confused by the question. "Well, it is your birthday, is it not?" He kept his confused expression, as she looked at the both of them with a matching glance. Was it really?

Aditi rushed to her wall calendar. "Birthday? I'm positive it's tomorrow."

She tore yesterday's date and true enough, it revealed the date of her birthday.

5th June.

"Oh my goodness," she gasped. She had been counting down to her birthday for a month and nearly missed it. "It's my birthday." Aditi said, throat forming a lump at the warmth that spread throughout her body at the gesture.

"Indeed, it is. Now, after you are done with breakfast, hurry along and get dressed. We have some things prepared."

She nodded, a smile graced her face, and she anticipated the rest of the day.

Aditi wanted to spare the table of having empty plates and bowls that had been cleaned of its dishes when a box was placed in the middle disrupting her thoughts. "Is that a cake?" she asked, staring at the box. They all had gathered at the Begums. Mrs. Begum had cooked a feast in celebration of Aditi's birthday. The spread of her favourites began from paneer tikka to mutton biryani.

"No, it's a bomb," Xavier responded sarcastically, towering over her. Aditi rolled her eyes and plopped down on the chair.

"Their sister, Antonia, baked it," Matthieu mentioned.