Chapter 9 - Endearment

"So, um... are you planning to stay in Mondstadt?" murmurs Jean, glancing back at the Mage, and Lisa herself can't resist. "Even if I was going to leave, you'd stop me with those eyes of yours, essentially without doing a thing. But yes, darling, I'm staying in my hometown. It has been quite a while since I've felt the glorious winds of Mond," replies Lisa, toying with one of the Knight's bangs gently. "That's great! I mean, are you going to get a job here? Surely someone of your academical prowess should join the Knights of Favonius, really," says Jean enthusiastically. "Hm, I suppose so. I wonder where I can find the person to go sign up for this whole thing?" responds Lisa, feigning mock ignorance.

"Lisa!" chides Jean playfully, the two of them bouncing off of each other's energy like old friends. "Yes, yes Jean, I know it's you. Did Varka go on another one of his expeditions again?" chuckles Lisa, as the blonde nods in response. "I've heard of all your great feats, and I know exactly which job to give you," comments Jean, as a woman runs up to the two of them. "Master Jean, Master Jean, I'm glad I finally found you... huff... my cat's gone missing! Could you help me out?" sighs the woman, and when Lisa glances at the Anemo wielder, ready to respond with a "Yes," she interrupts with, "I'm sure there are other members from the Knights of Favonius that you can ask. Don't you think our Jean is incredibly busy to go looking for your cat? I mean, she's looking after all of Mondstadt, including you, dear."

"Oh, that's true, I suppose. I'm really sorry for troubling you then, Master Jean!" remarks the woman, bowing a little, as Lisa responds with a playful, "No worries, cutie. Hope you find your cat!"

The woman flushes from the endearment before running off.

"I- Lisa! How on earth did you do that?" questions Jean in awe. "It's called, 'learning to say no,' Master Jean," reprimands Lisa, as they reach the Headquarters. The instant they step inside, there's a horde of people surrounding the Acting Grand Master, and the weary expression that forms on the blonde's face is enough for Lisa to step in, annoyed. "Ahem! Do you mind? We just returned, and the speed that you all came to her for consultation is concerning. Seriously, genuinely think for a second whether your problem is large enough for someone like our Acting Grand Master to do. Don't you think she has other obligations as well?" retorts Lisa, intimidating the crowd as she steps forward with a burst of Electro. The crowd gasps from the commanding nature of the Mage, before someone exclaims, "It's Lisa Minci, from Sumeru Academia!"

The crowd gets even more active from that, excitedly pestering her with questions. Lisa is getting more and more annoyed by the second, as she grasps on Jean's wrist, tugging her along as she runs to the first empty room in sight, slamming the door in everyone's face as she sighs. "Is this really the shit you deal with every day, Jean?" spits Lisa, cursing. "Yeah, I'm sorry you had to deal with that. They just want someone to help them, that's all-" starts Jean, trying to explain the situation as the witch strides towards her, and places her gloved finger on her mouth.

"Why are you sorry for me? I'm sorry for you, this many people relying on you and not a single one of them noticing how you helping them 24/7 is taking such a toll on your health."

"It's as if the people fail to grasp the simple fact that there are other members of the Knights of Favonius. Either that, or the other Knights are just incompetent at their job when it comes to you. But either way, utterly disgusting," states Lisa, glaring into Jean's eyes. "The other Knights are great at their job, don't get me wrong. But as a Gunnhildr, you know, I have to help whenever I can and it feels nice to be reliable-" says Jean, but the Mage is utterly unimpressed, sighing. "Frankly speaking, I don't care what Clan you're from. What I do care about is your health, darling. I noticed it the instant I came into Mondstadt and saw those dark circles under your eyes, the way you slouched when you walked, and look at how worn your skin is, sweetheart," mutters Lisa, sitting the Knight down on her chair, as she delicately removes the overcoat, exposing Jean's muscled back - covered in scars of all sorts.

Lisa tuts at this, as she scolds Jean. "You clearly don't look after yourself enough. Look at those split ends, those dark circles and the slouch in your posture. I will be remedying that during my stay here, thank you," says Lisa, grimacing.

Jean is unsure how to respond: multiple people have already reprimanded her over her horrible habits, but few have actually taken the time to help her fix those issues... not like she needed fixing anyways, it was all for Mondstadt, as always.

"Alright, alright," chuckles Jean. "So, I think that we'll be appointing you as the Captain of the 8th Company, which focuses on the true power of the Elements, and magic in general, hm? I'll need to confer with Nymph because she's the Field Officer, but I'm sure she won't mind-"

"No," smiles Lisa sweetly, taking a seat opposite Jean.

Huh? What did she say?

"I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that, could you repeat-" remarks Jean, as the Mage goes, "No. I'd really, rather not."

"But why? Surely it's the perfect and most high - ranking job we can offer someone of your academical and elemental prowess, if it isn't a good enough job I'm sure a couple months in of being the Captain and we could promote you to an even higher ranking," rambles Jean, shocked. 

"It's not that I doubt my own skill, but I am not about to take on that much responsibility - it's going to interrupt my daily routines. You do realize I need my morning nap and afternoon tea, darling," laughs Lisa, and she's most attentive of the way the blonde's ears go crimson at the endearment.