Chapter Eight | Bruised Egos

Nothing interesting happens at school, except on the days when I was absent. Since it was another boring day, I was, unfortunately, present for the whole day. The only thing I was looking forward to was the surprise friendly football match against the latest additions to the boys' football team. Usually, when tryouts took place, the newest players of both genders would go through the same trials. There were plenty of times when girls outshone a few boys. That left them with bruised egos.

Rumour has it that the latest additions to the boys' football team had more ego than skill. They were also a little sexist and thought they had the match in the bag from the words that had filtered through the hall. The rumours were malicious. No one could wait until after school when they got their arses handed to them.

The girls' football team won more often than the boys' football team so anyone who had been in school during the season was used to the winning match announcements.

Nathan threw his arm around Kim's shoulder, joining us as we walked toward the lockers.

"You should slide tackle a few of them. They need to be knocked over," Nathan suggested.

"Are you crazy, she will get a red card and injure them badly if she gets it goes wrong," Hafsa argued. She was a major football fan who always spent her weekends watching matches with her father and cousins. She knew the game better than Nathan.

I was pretty sure I caught her explaining the offside rule to him and once.

"It's not like it would be undeserving. Those arrogant gits deserve it."

"I love it when you take sports even though you don't know what's going on," Kim added, patting Nathan on his cheek. He smiled at her statement. I had seen enough and turned my attention to Hafsa and Ash, who were currently discussing in-depth tactics that could put any sports reporter to shame.

"It's only a friendly match," I reminded them. It wasn't a time to concentrate on winning but rather a chance to showcase my ability to act as captain. I spoke to the coach earlier today and she explained Irina and I would take turns in each half to be the captain. Total destruction and ruthlessness isn't the best approach when we could use half our strength.

"It's little lambs being led to their slaughter," Kim added. Well, it was as friendly in name-sake.

"I am not a little lamb!" Ash protested.

"No, you're the executor, Ash." Nathan grinned, loving the idea of the show that he had front-row seats to. Perhaps he had a personal vendetta against one of those boys. He really wanted to see them go down.

"No ways, I changed my mind. I'm a little lamb," Ash replied, changing her mind since murder wasn't really her thing. We laughed.

Ash and I parted ways with Kim, Nathan and Hafsa when we got to the girls changing rooms. They went to go grab a spot to watch next to the field. While there was a buzz about the match, only time would tell how many spectators we would have. That's if the school allowed them to sit on the sidelines.

As luck would have it, there was a healthy amount of spectators. The extra energy from the crowd was always welcomed. In turn, we entertained them by giving them the thrashing they came to watch. They couldn't get a single goal past our goalkeeper, that's if they kicked the ball on target.

I had left my bags with my friends, so I didn't need to go back into the locker rooms.

"Do you think she's been on a date yet?" Michelle whispered to Irina, except it was loud enough for plenty of us to hear. We all gave her the shut-up look since the coach had gathered us around for a moment of praise.

I couldn't concentrate on whatever she was saying since I was trying to figure out how to get a date. I should've googled it this weekend but I kept putting it off. It's easy to forget about a ticking time bomb when she fall off to the sound of the tik tock sound.

We were dismissed and automatically greeted everyone before rushing toward my friends. Kim and Hafsa probably had the solution.

Lady Luck was on my side as Kim met me halfway to their spot where our bags were. Nathan and Hafsa were in conversation with a guy I had seen around school.

"I found your first date," Kim whispered, grabbing my arm in excitement.

"I swear you're psychic sometimes, I was just about to ask you to find someone."

"He's perfect. He seems to really like you."

"Great so how long before he asks me out?"

"This isn't the regency novel like Hafsa reads. You ask him out now."

"Now? Like right now? I don't even know his name."

"His name is Justin and it's super simple, just say 'Do you want to go on a date with me, Justin?"

"I will literally say that."

"Good, make sure to say his name so he doesn't think you're asking Nathan or Hafsa out."

"Hilarious, Kim."

When I got close enough, Nathan and Hafsa introduced me to Justin. We made polite conversation where he took his time to praise my football skills and more importantly, my leadership. Talking to Justin was a real confidence booster and the idea of going on a date with him was looking more and more appealing with each word.

Kim held Nathan and Hafsa back while we were walking towards the school gate to give me the much needed privacy to ask the big question. I glanced over my shoulder to see Kim throwing some encouraging gestures in our direction.

"Do you want to go on a date with me, Justin?"