II

𝔏𝔢𝔱𝔰 𝔪𝔞𝔨𝔢 𝔞 𝔡𝔢𝔞𝔩|||ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 2

𝔈𝔭𝔦𝔰𝔬𝔡𝔢 𝔬𝔫𝔢

_____

Everyone of Monica's friends are in cheerleading or basketball so during the game she would have to sit alone. In the morning Monica drove Celeste and Ophelia to school. They run to the cheerleaders as Monica stands backing turning her head to see Steve giving Robin a ride to school. Monica walks into the school sitting on the bleachers closest to the cheerleaders.

The cheerleaders do their whole routine after that routine Monica zones out staring into space blocking out the noise getting caught in her thoughts. Monica snaps out of her trance when she realizes the losses he's talking about. Not game losses but life losses. They didn't die for the game they died for the community. 

After the game Monica and Celeste walk through the halls together. "Go ask Dustin." Celeste says giving her a little shove. "Ask Dustin what 'Hey Dustin I need to ask you if you can set me up with Steve Harrington to get back at my stupid ex boyfriend who moved on like less than an hour after we broke up?'" Monica says. "Well I guess you don't have to ask him now?" Celeste says pointing to the group of three Dustin, Lucas, and worst of all her brother Mike who will tease her for this later. "Okay well I've got to go to class now the bell just rang love you bye!" Monica says running to class leaving the group of boys with Celeste.

The rest of the day was a blur Monica was having the worst headaches ever. She didn't know why but she didn't question it. Maybe she hit her head but forgot. "Hey Celeste I don't know if I can make it to the game." "What happened?" "My headaches are getting worse." "Oh im sorry I hope you can make it though it's mean the world to me, Ophelia, and Lucas." Celeste says smiling.

As the two girls walked to lunch they walked past the hellfire table. Celeste nodded her head for Monica to go over there, so she did. Monica walked as fast as she could in her heels walking over to Dustin. She makes eye contact with Eddie but quickly looks away. "Hey Dustin do you know if Steve is coming to the game?" Monica asks leaning on the table. "Why are you asking about Harrington?" Eddie asks interrupting Dustin. "Why do you care? We're over and it's not like you haven't moved on already I know you were with Molly yesterday right after we ended things." "Oh my God it was not like that." Eddie says putting his face in his hand. "Yeah well I am in no need to care. Dustin is he or not?" Monica asks him sternly. "Yeah he's coming with Linda I think."Dustin says. "Thanks Dustin Bye Dustin, Bye Mike and fuck the rest of you." She says flipping the rest of them off while walking away.

Monica storms over to the jock table pulling a chair next to Jason leaning her head on his shoulder. "Oh hey Monica we were just talking about the next game- hey are you alright?" Jason has always been like an protective brother to Monica so when she found out him and Chrissy were dating she was so happy for them. "So you know how I was dating Eddie?" "Yeah did he do something?" Jason asks. "No I broke up with him yesterday and he's already moved on with Molly, did our time together mean nothing to him." "I've always known Molly was gonna do something like this just didn't know to which couple." Chance says. "Do you want me to go with you to find Celeste and Ophelia?" Chance adds. "Yes please." Monica says as she gets up. "Do you know where they would be?" Chance asks wrapping his arm around Monica. They walk around and find Celeste. "Um oh hi Celeste." Chance says waving to her nervously. "Hi Chance." She says smiling up at him quietly they talk for a little while before getting interrupted with this annoying voice Monica can't get out of her head.

"As long as you're in band, or Science, or parties, or a game where you toss balls into laundry baskets." Eddie screams. "You want something freak!" Jason screams back to him. "So? Is he coming to the game tonight?" Celeste says smiling at Monica. "Wait is who coming maybe I could tell you?" Chance buts in. "Steve Harrington." Celeste says. "Oh I have no idea- wait who does Monica want to know-" The bell rings which cuts him off a perfect distraction for Monica to walk away.

Monica drives home to change before the game. She decides on a red sleeveless dress with a fur coat. "Hey Monica want to play DND with us today." Mike asks. "No I obviously don't get out Mike!" Monica says locking the door. Monica slips her red heels on before walking to her car. Monica drives to the game to see Ophelia getting out of her car. "Hi Lia!" "Hi Monica love the outfit." Ophelia said hugging her before she ran to the gymnasium. Monica looks over to see Steve and his date. Monica ran into the gymnasium sitting on the top near the band members.

Monica has been sitting for around five minutes. The girl Steve was with sits next to her and to her surprise Steve is there as well.  "Everyone now please rise for our national anthem. Singing for us tonight, we have a very special guest. All the way from Nashville our very own Tammy Thompson!" That's when Tammy starts singing. Monica tries so hard not to laugh. "Wow. She sounds amazing, doesn't she?" Steve's date says which causes Monica to laugh, causing both Steve and his date to look at her. The game goes on and Hawkins is winning! As they play someone on the other team knocks someone on the floor. "Damn." Monica mumbles. Steve steals glances at her every chance he gets. The winning goal is about to be shot by Lucas.

Hawkins won the game! Everyone cheers for Lucas. He walks out with the team but Monica see his eyes trail over to Hellfire. Wait Steve damnit! Monica walks around to find Steve and finds him getting in his car. "Steve wait!" Her voice causes Steve to look up. "Um Monica hi do you need something?" "A favor?" "Depends on the favor." He says as they're both less than a few inches away from each other. "So I broke up with Eddie yesterday and it seems like he's already moved on." Monica says lighting her self a cigarette Steve looks at her curiously as to where she's going with this. "Will you maybe pretend to be my boyfriend for like I don't know a month?" "A month why?" Steve asks. "Well my ex moved on like really fast and I want to make him jealous." "Well wouldn't it be kind of awkward since I dated your sister?" "Well it's not like she's not over you because she totally is. We would have to appear as a couple to everyone you can tell someone it's a deal but not too many people only my friends Celeste, Ophelia and Chrissy know." "Okay but what's in it for me?" "I'll  give you money or something-"

Monica continues ranting until Steve puts a finger on her lips. "Fine it a deal just shut up ill take twenty dollars for each week you make me pretend." "Deal." Monica  responds. "Well I should go now bye." Monica adds before turning to walk away. "Wait." Steve says going up to her he gives her a quick kiss before pulling away. "If we're gonna pretend to be a couple might as well act like one right." Steve says as Monica smiles up at him. "Bye Steve I'll see you tomorrow!" Monica walks away and freaks out in her head. Steve Harrington kissed Monica!

Monica drives home happy about the contact she had with Steve Harrington.

_____

Monday, July 25th 2022

5:07pm