Waking Up & Reunion

The steady rhythmic beeping to his left wasn't what woke him. Nor was it the glow of lights through his eyelids. What woke Midoriya was the feeling of something sticking in his left arm near his elbow. He slowly opened his eyes. The glow of the fluorescent lights stabbed his eyes through the plexiglas on the NRV gear. He looked at his surroundings.

In the middle of the wall opposite him was a free flowing painting of multiple greens, reds, and blues. Above it was a TV that was off. On his right was a window with the shades covering it. Near it was a chair and desk. On it was a vase with a single flower in it. He looked at his arm and saw what was giving him that weird feeling. An IV was hooked into his arm. The bag of fluid was on his left alongside the heart monitor.

There was no question as to where he was. He looked at his arms again. If he weren't just in a game where he saw people actually dying, he'd say that his malnourished self was the most horrifying thing he'd seen. Any of the small amounts of muscle he had on him was nearly completely withered away. Along with any chubbiness he may have had previously.

He grabbed the NRV gear with his hands and pulled it off of him. A mass of green hair cascaded out of it. Some fell on his back, some on his face, but all of it he was mildly disgusted by. He laid the NRV gear on his lap, breathing a sigh of relief. He was about to attempt to take off the sensors for his vitals when tiredness hit him.

I... I guess I don't have any energy to do anything else, he thought.

He laid back down and listened. Outside his room, multiple doctors and nurses were running back and forth exchanging excited news about the SAO patients waking up. One came right to his room.

"This one's awake, too!" The nurse said, "Inform his mother, quick!"

The nurse left quickly. Midoriya's mind was slow to react. So a good few seconds after the nurse left Midoriya remembered one of the biggest questions he had at present: are the other ten in this hospital with him? After a good five minutes a dull pain began to form around his gut. He knew exactly what it was: hunger pangs. It was to be expected after two years of digital food instead of actual sustenance. He closed his eyes as some of the good memories of SAO came fresh to his mind.

It was only two weeks after Uraraka had joined them. She was still trying to get used to living with Midoriya. A few times they had almost walked in on each other when they were taking showers, but otherwise there wasn't anything bad that happened. Right now, Midoriya was trying his best to cook something for the both of them. But the soup he was trying to make wasn't registering as finished.

"Food ready, Deku?" He heard from a room nearby.

"Not yet, Uraraka," he responded, "I'm not that great a cook and I still can't get the soup done."

"Did you add salt?"

"Yes."

"Pepper?"

"Yes."

"Heat?"

"Yes."

"On high?"

"Yes."

"Let it simmer."

He turned the heat down and after letting it simmer for a few seconds, it finally registered as finished. He poured two bowls of soup and Uraraka was standing by the table waiting.

"You're not supposed to boil soup, Deku. You're supposed to let it simmer," she said.

"Oh, sorry. Like I said, I'm not a good cook," he said, sheepishly.