#3 - Glimpse of Us

SHIP: Gusion x Lesley and past Gusion x Guinevere

TIMELINE: Semi-canon compliant, headcannon

INSPIRATION: Short songfic inspired by the song "Glimpse of Us" by Joji.

WARNINGS: None.

MAIN AUTHOR: LingIsHotPeriodt (aka. DaphyDaffodil)

____________

(Please try to listen to the song if you don't know it yet. Even just the first minute is fine. It makes everything better, I promise.)

Gusion couldn't say he hated it, because he shouldn't.

He's supposed to enjoy his life now.

That's what he frustratedly reminds himself of again and again, hoping that somehow, if he just repeated the thought without rest, it would finally etch itself into reality.

He should be happy, ecstatic, overjoyed. He finally escaped from the clutches of the Paxleys, and now, he was free to roam the Land of Dawn with the girl he loved, Lesley Vance, another renowned assassin. Her hair was a long maroon braid that snaked down her back, and she had warm, brown eyes that Gusion loved to gaze into.

But does he really prefer the chocolate color over the bright emerald?

Guinevere . . .

Stop. Gusion shakes his head vigorously. Stop mixing the past with the present.

"Gusion, are you alright?" Lesley asks him, waving a hand in front of his face. They were currently resting under a huge tree to take a break from the merciless streaks of the midday sunlight. The boy laid his head on her lap, where he previously planned to take a nap.

"You said you'd sleep. Why are you staring and zoning out on nothing?" She continued to ask him, leaning down a bit to observe his features. "Are you unwell? But your temperature is normal," Lesley added, gently placing a hand on his forehead. Her voice was soft, so comforting, and it makes Gusion wants to close his eyes and listen to it forever.

And so he does.

She'd take the world off my shoulders if it was ever hard to move,

"No answer? Alright, take your time. I'll wait," Lesley said, leaning back on the tree trunk.

Maybe shutting his eyes was a bad move, because he hears the words in another girl's voice, which he was completely sure is something that shouldn't happen. Why does his mind betray him? Lesley was kind, loving, and caring. She always exerted more patience and tried to be more understanding towards him ever since they decided to stay with each other.

She'd turn the rain to a rainbow when I was living in the blue,

But Guinevere used to do that too. Suddenly, he reminisces the enjoyable times they spent together a few months back. Occasionally, they would fight and clash head-on, both verbally and physically, but it was never anything too serious. Their young and smitten hearts could never stand the distance for too long, and would always find a way back to one another.

Why then if she's so perfect, do I still wish that it was you?

Gusion quickly rises from Lesley's lap. He jumps back on his feet, avoiding Lesley's bewildered stare. Without warning, he runs and rushes off, and he doesn't even know why. All he knew was that he needed to get away. He arrives at a clearing where a cliff ended the path ahead, nothing but the view of Grandrock below.

"Gusion! Gusion! Stop! What's wrong with you? You know you can always tell me," He heard Lesley yell behind him, and he tries to will himself to get a grip and face her, but he was too cowardly to do that. He didn't deserve her, and she didn't deserve him either. She didn't deserve this, to love him - a pathetic man who was only half of his true self, while the other half is stuck in the woes of the past.

I can't tell you, Lesley. Not this time.

Perfect don't mean that it's working, so what can I do? (Ooh)

He never told Lesley about his past with Guinevere. They ended abruptly anyway, without any official label to their relationship. He left Gorge on impulse, after they had a huge fight and instead of talking it out, he departed without a word. Gusion wanted to go back, but then he met Lesley, and he . . . couldn't just leave her.

Yes, he loves her, but not as much as does for Guinevere. He shamefully admits it now - Gusion, a man full of regrets and memories of a past he should have left behind a long time ago.

When you're out of sight, in my mind

Gusion quickly stops his angry tears from falling, harshly wiping his eyes with a sleeve.

Guinevere . . . I'm sorry. If only I could-

"Gusion. There you are. Please don't run off like that again? I was so worried." Lesley speaks, her voice laced with sadness. She finally caught up with him, but Gusion couldn't bring himself to feel relieved like he should be. Carefully, Lesley lays a hand on his shoulder and turns him around. So much emotions rage within his conflicted gaze.

"Hey, hey. It's okay," Lesley whispers, putting a hand on his cheek, "Look at me."

Gusion doesn't want to because his mind is so frazzled, but with her gentle urging, he eventually complies.

'Cause sometimes I look in her eyes, and that's where I find a glimpse of us

He looks at Lesley's eyes, a comforting brown, but he compares it to the familiar green orbs Guinevere has instead. He only sees the younger lady, his first love, and he doesn't want to think otherwise. Gusion closes his eyes and basks in the illusion he created, that the hand that held him comfortingly was still hers.

And I try to fall for her touch, but I'm thinking of the way it was

This was very wrong. He shouldn't be imagining something like this, and Gusion knows, but he can't help himself anymore. No matter what he tells himself, his heart always refuses to follow the words that flow through his head and out his lips.

Said, "I'm fine" and said, "I moved on"

He leans his head into the touch of the temporary image of Guinevere that he conjured.

I'm only here passing time in her arms

He still wishes it was her, even if he knows he wasn't supposed to. He can no longer stop the yearning of his broken heart for the sweet laughter and adorable face of his dear Guinevere.

Despite his hazy mind, Gusion finally lifts his eyelids to meet the loving gaze of the female assassin. But suddenly, red hair transitions into lovely chestnut locks, the blue vest shifts into a familiar violet corset, and brown eyes fade into an entrancing, emerald green.

Hoping I'll find a glimpse of us. 

____________

Short author's notes: Canon Gusley? No problem! Ships don't have to be canon. I will continue to love Gusion and Guinevere until the day I die, and this is my personal take on their lores that are yet to be revamped. To the Gugu shippers out there, no need to lose hope. Our other lovely author miss SimpForGuin still updates the ton of Gugu books she has from time to time, and it is a highly recommended read!