Face to Face

Suddenly a warm breeze is blowing through your hair, and opening your eyes you find that you are now in an open meadow. The sky above you is a brilliant blue, and the fluffy clouds take evanescent shapes as they glide along. It's beautiful, overwhelming. You're now aware of the presence of the man behind you. You can't believe this is real. Or is it? I'm not sure what any of this means, what if this is just a dream? No, this can't be a dream. You shudder internally as you remember the pain of being strangled by the vines.

"Can I turn around?" You ask in a whisper, still in awe.

"Yes." You are surprised, the deep and powerful voice from before is strangely more human now, more...endearing.

You turn, your face mere inches away from his. Your breath catches. This man standing in front of you is undeniably the most handsome man you have ever seen. His eyes are bright blue, his chiseled cheekbones and jawline are framed by long, golden waves of perfect hair. If HE feels insecure about his looks then there's no hope for me. You back up, realizing that you're still quite close.

"Um..." you're trying to collect yourself, trying to formulate a coherent sentence, "Where are we?"

"A memory," he says nonchalantly. You follow him to a willow tree and with the snap of his fingers a bench appears beneath the willow whips. "Sit," he gestures to it. Your jaw drops, and he smirks.

"How did you do that?! Wait, I'm asking the wrong questions; who even are you?" You slowly sit on the hard wood of the bench, afraid that if you touched it it would evaporate into thin air.

He sits down next to you on the bench and an odd look flashes in his eyes. They meet yours, and you feel drawn into them. Words hesitate on his lips, but he finally speaks.

"Henry...my name is Henry." You smile at him oddly. Henry is such an ordinary name for such and extraordinary man.

"My name is..." You realize with horror that you can't remember what your name is. "I don't know what it is," you say, slightly embarrassed. "Well, Henry," you say after taking a deep breath, "I don't know what any of this means, but...thank you for saving my life."

"Really, it was nothing." He stands up.

"No, it wasn't nothing. I'm here, wherever here is, alive because of you. Unless, of course, this is a dream...and if it is a dream then it's certainly a strange one..." You look up at him, feeling something you can't explain. A butterfly with intricate wings lands on your finger. Standing up you ask Henry, "How do I know this isn't a dream? That it isn't real?" You search his eyes for answers, but you find none.

A look of vulnerability appears in his face as you put your hand on his shoulder.

"It's not real...it's just a memory. My memory. And I have the power to tweak it however I want. I'm projecting what I want you to see, hear and feel onto your mind. This place was real, once." He looks away and you lower your hand. "I know it's confusing...you can think of it as a dream if you want...when you wake up it will be as if it were, if you can remember." You study the rippling grass, the daisies and even the tiny ants. You have no more words to say. You look back up only to see his back turned and his hand on his forehead.

"Are you alright?" You ask, maneuvering around so you can see his face. His nose is bleeding and his eyebrows are furrowed. He gives to a sad smile and steps closer to you.

"It's time to say goodbye. Let the dream end..." He whispers. He cups your face gently and you black out.

To be continued