The Beginning and the End

The sound of muffled beeping fills your ears. The air smells like antiseptic. Your eyes flutter open and you look at the pure white ceiling above you. A figure appears by your side and when you look it's Henry.

"You're awake," he says, brushing your hair from your forehead. You scrunch your eyebrows trying to piece together what happened. He notices your confusion. "You're in the hospital with a concussion. The nurses will come back soon and fill you in." Slowly but surely, your memories of the past two days are returning. It's a lot to take in. "I'll let them know you're awake," he says, starting to stand up and leave. But you grab his hand impulsively before he can walk away.

"Don't go," you say, looking up at him longingly. You start to sit up, but your whole body is weak and sore. You inhale sharply as pain shoots through your head. Your vision goes blurry for a moment and you feel Henry put his arm around you. He gently guides you back down to your pillow.

"You need to rest. Don't strain yourself," he says patiently. "I'll be right back," he says as he lifts your chin to look at him. You nod and he leaves the room.

Your eyes close briefly and when you open them again you see Henry, a nurse and a police officer. You are allowed to sit up this time and your pillows are situated to support you.

"So what's wrong with me?" you ask the nurse. She takes a deep breath and sits next to you on a nurse's stool.

"You have a severe concussion, causing extreme memory loss. You can't even remember your own name, correct?" you nod your head slowly. "We figured out who you were, from other hospital records and a missing person's report. Your name is Leah Johnson, and your parents were Meredith and David Johnson. You were on a family road trip last week and got in a car crash, killing both of them and giving you a severe concussion. You were taken to another hospital not far from here, and when you awoke from a coma you had no memories of what happened. The doctors tried to explain everything to you but you didn't believe them and tried to escape...you did, successfully. But nobody could find you, so they had to file a missing person's report. And then when Mrs. Whitmore called the police about a young girl found on her porch we knew it had to be you. But when we found that her car had crashed and burned and you weren't in it, we knew you had to have survived somehow."

"Henry saved me," you say to her with tears in your eyes. It's all so overwhelming. "I have a name," you say, looking down, folding your hands in your lap. And parents, but they're dead. I'm an orphan. The nurse sympathetically puts her hand on yours.

The police officer is stepping forward, moving to the other side of your bed. "We knew that you probably weren't that far from the crash, and we saw you with your friends on the side of the road near the edge of the woods. We all got pretty lucky finding you so quickly last night. With so many murders lately we were worried that you might be an easy target. But thank God now you're safe and sound. Let these people take care of you, Leah." Its so strange to hear people call me by a name. "These are good people and are going to help you. Don't give them any trouble, understand?"

"Yes, sir." you turn to look at both of them, "thank you both for the answers. I do have one more question, though. How long do I have to stay here and recover?" The nurse looks at her clipboard and flips through some papers.

"Well, that depends on a few things. But we'll say about two and a half weeks. We have to make sure nothing goes wrong in the recovery process."

Your voice trembles. "Will I get my memories back?" You're almost afraid to ask the question, not even sure if you want to know the answer.

"All in good time, Leah. It's time to rest." The nurse stands up, and ushers everyone out of the room but Henry stays. He sits on the edge of your bed and takes your hand.