In the Upside Down

You take a look at your surroundings. It's the same place as it was on the other side of the gate, except the trees are decaying, and the sky is an ugly grey. Strange snow falls from the clouds looming above. I've been here before, you think to yourself. It's the same as it was...dark, earie. Another thought briefly crosses your mind; How did I get here the first time anyway? You take careful steps around slithering vines.

You're not really sure where you're going, but you have a feeling in your gut that's guiding you. Eleven stays behind you, keeping an eye out for any threats.

You come to a clearing in the trees, and there is a barren field. Barren as in crops; but bountiful as in carnivorous vines. You take a shaky breath and try to calm yourself. You remember the relentless grips they had while constricting your whole body last time. You shiver.

"Look," Eleven says, glancing at the sky above the field. "Bats." You stare at the swarming bats, seeming to circle over a point in the distance. Even though they are some ways away, you can hear their blood-curdling screeches. "They will attack us if we go that way. They will tear us apart and eat us alive."

There you stand, trying to figure out a way to go anywhere or do anything without dying or getting eaten alive. You sigh defeatedly. "I can't give up on him." What am I even doing?

"We should go back. Even though I am strong it is still dangerous here," Eleven says.

"No, we can do this," you say with forced resolve. The truth is, I'm terrified. But I have to hold onto the hope that Henry can change. Eleven sighs and grabs a sharp stick and hands it to you.

"You'll need a weapon to defend yourself." She gives you a weak smile and you return it.

"Let's do this," you say as you start to walk out of the gnarly trees and into the open field.

You use your spear as a walking stick as you navigate the vines of the field. Eleven keeps a wary eye on the bats as you dodge the slithering beasts. You can here the squelching noises of the slimy things and it makes you nauseous. You stop abruptly, because you are having a wave of intense pain in your head. When you look up you feel dizzy and can't catch your breath.

"Hey," Eleven says with a worried tone of voice. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a little headache. Probably from the car crash..." you look down and blood is dripping from your nose onto the field. The field covered with blood-thirsty vines. Oh, no.

You are frozen in place for a moment, and with horror on your face you slowly turn around to look at Eleven. It takes her a moment to realize when she sees the blood dripping from your face, and when she does her eyes say it all. Run. But as you're turning back to the woods, you hear the bats make a new, more frightening sound. You're horrified to see them flying toward you and Eleven. We're doomed. You try to run, but just then you find that you can't move your ankles. Looking down you see large vines curling around your legs. Instinctively you stab them with your stick but that only makes them squeeze you harder. You groan with pain.

Eleven frantically extends her right arm towards you and tries to loosen the vines' grips on your legs. She succeeds for a moment but the bats are getting closer, diving down and taunting you. The vines have made it up to your waist and dragged you to the ground. You scream as bats fly over your face. One lands on top of you and you spear its eye and it flies away. But two more come to replace it. You can see Eleven out of the corner of your eye and she's ripping bats apart with her mind. It's amazing what these people can do, you muse briefly. But time is running out. You scream as you feel yourself being dragged away from Eleven. You're struggling, grabbing onto anything to slow the pull but its all in vain. You wish you had never come here. You feel the weight of all the guilt you've acquired in the last two days.