chapter 3

The girls made a small cornered off area in the classroom so they could eat their lunch in peace and so they could gossip about their secrets.

"So, Florence where did you move from?" Josie asked, biting into some bread and cheese.

"I uh came from London." Flo replied, fidgeting with her fingers.

"Oh I have always wanted to visit England!" Dianna said with a great smile.

"Me too!" Anne added.

"Well I must take you next time we visit." Florence said looking up with a smile.

The girls shared an excited look before Josie interrupted.

"Girls, I think we should start the notice board back up." She said.

"Oh that old thing?!" Jane asked.

"That old thing is a most romantic way of secretly declaring who a boy wants too court!!" Dianna said in excitment.

"Well I think it's a brilliant idea." Ruby said, looking out of the window and blatantly staring at Gilbert.

"Yeah it sounds nice if someone notices you." Florence quickly thought and said.

"Well that's just too bad." Josie said with a smile and carried on eating.

"Hey English girl." A boy called from the door.

"Yes?" Florence replied, standing up.

"Is it true your named after a city in Italy?"

"Who said?"

"Gilbert."

"Right, well I am. What's it to you?"

"Nothing I suppose. Just thought It was pretty cool." The boy said with a cheeky smirk and then running off.

Florence sat back down to face the girls who were all sort of smirking except Josie.

"Who was that then?" Flo asked.

"That's Billy Andrews. My smelly brother." Jane said.

"Oh right."

"And you can keep your dirty hands off him!" Josie blurted.

"Excuse me?"

"For your information he's walked me home and our families have agreed we shall see about our future together." Josie said quickly and defensively.

"Well I'm not interested in the slightest. He's actually quite rude. And plus you can't just assume that I have my eyes on anyone here! I've only just arrived after all."

"Alright sorry Florence, we don't mean to be so forward we just to make sure you know what you can and can't have." Josie said passive aggressively.

Florence looked at her hands and again began to fidget with them, wondering why everyone seemed to be slightly rude and forward with her. She felt as if the girls thought she was a threat but she dismissed the thought and returned to her seat before the bell rung. 

"Florence i didn't see you eat did you bring anything?" Dianna asked quietly as her and Anne sat either side of me. 

"Oh i forgot it this morning. was in a bit of i rush i suppose." 

"Everyone settle down!" Mr Phillips called as prissy once again appeared from behind him and went to sit down. "Everyone, this afternoon we shall be doing spelling."

"Oh are we doing the game!?" A boy asked from the corner.

"Don't shout boy i expect you to raise your hand!" Mr Phillips yelled.