chapter 4

Florence bit into a peice of toast and pushed a small price of hair behind her ear. There was a knock at the door and the maid hurried off to answer it.

"Florence it's for you." She said re-entering the room.

"Oh right!" Florence replied with a smile, dropping her toast and skipping over to the door.

"Anne! Dianna! What a lovely surprise!"

"Hello Florence! We wondered if you would like to come over for a formal tea later?" Dianna asked.

"I would love to! That would be lovely in fact. What time?"

"1pm sharp!" Anne said with a smile.

"Green gables?"

"Yes." Dianna said with a smile.

"Well I'll see you girls then."

"Okay see you later!" The girls said hurrying off.

Florence raised an eyebrow as a smile spread across her face.

"Who was that floss?" Edward asked.

"Non of your business." Florence said putting her nose in the air.

"Oh come on floss, it's only me."

"Well if you must know I'm going for tea later."

"Oo fancy! Florence made some friends"

"This is why I don't say things to my brother!" Florence snapped as her mother appeared on the doorway.

"Well for starters stop tormenting your sister. And what even going on?" Her mother said.

"Oh well Dianna and Anne came over to ask if I could go for tea later!"

"Why of course you can darling. So happy you've made good friends. And don't you torment her for that!" Her mother said quickly changing her face from a smile to a frown and clipping the back of Edwards head before going back to the kitchen.

The results of what her mother had said left a smirk on Florence's face and he went upstairs. Edward rubbed the back of her head and returned to the sitting room. Edward was Florence's older brother. He was 18 this year and was back briefly from Redmond college. He was going to be a doctor.

~~

A sage green dress fell too Florence's knees and her blonde hair fell graciously down her back as she brushed it gently. Small waves were still clinging to her hair and it almost looked natural. Though it was her favourite Florence never wore this dress often, it had small flower embroidery along the the hem and sleeves of the dress with a great big white ribbon that sat round her waist, tied into a bow at the back. She pulled out her white lace up boots from under her bed and hopped downstairs excitedly.

"Are you off dear?" Her mother asked.

"Yes mother I'll see you in a few hours, Before dark."

"Alright have fun my darling."

Florence skipped out of the front door and headed towards the stables. Willow rose and greeted her excitedly. Florence mounted her and they trotted down the path leading to the house. As Florence edged closer to Anne's, she heard another horse coming from behind her.

"Florence?" A voice said from behind her.

"Oh! Gilbert?" Florence replied in shock, turning to face him.