The case against Snivellus Snape

One thing rapidly led to another, and before Harry knew it, they were reviewing every significant event of his Hogwarts career in the Pensieve. In fact, they went through so much that the Delacour family now knew things that even Ron and Hermione didn't know. It was nothing secret – just details that he never bothered to share – but it was startling nevertheless.

To say that Sebastian was livid would be putting it mildly, and the rest of the family was not far behind. Looking at it objectively through the lens of the unique magical device, even Harry could admit that he was angry at just how bolluxed up his school career had been. The number of times he had almost been killed...

They returned to Hogwarts very early the following morning, but not before Sebastian pulled him aside for a private chat. Harry was shocked to learn that the man had figured out that he was holding back in school, and even more so to realize that he really had no idea why he was even still doing it. It wasn't like the Dursleys had ever checked his Hogwarts grades, so he didn't need to worry about doing better than Dudley anymore.

It was simply an ingrained habit, and one which Sebastian was hell bent on breaking him of. He kindly explained that he was expected to do his best in school, and Harry accepted it with a mixture of gratitude and trepidation – the former because the man cared, and the latter in wonder of what would happen if he messed up. And then Sebastian told him that they rewarded their children for excellent grades, and to keep that in mind.

Having a family that cared for him was definitely a new experience, even if he thought it would be a very long time before he could truly accept them as such.

The lack of sleep did him in – and Fleur as well – and they both barely made it through their classes the next day, and did not see each other. He was fortunate that he managed to get any sleep at all; he found it difficult in the wake of the shocks of the past week. And then, as the perfect cap, he had to endure his least-favorite day.

Friday.

Where most students loved Fridays, being the last day before the weekend, Harry loathed them. He, like anyone else, was grateful that the week was about to end, but there was an overriding factor. It was one that could not be avoided, and one that he very much wished he could do without.

He had Potions on Friday.

Today's class was one of the worst he'd yet endured, too. It would have been one thing if Snape kept to his normal attacks on Harry and his father, but involving Hermione was just not right! Never mind that the article was full of lies; reading anything like that – true or not – to a class of teenagers, just to spite a student, was completely out of line. By the time dinner rolled around he was angry, and it was hard not to notice.

"Bloody git," he grumbled to himself.

"Stop, Harry," sighed Hermione. "We can't do anything about it. It isn't worth worrying about."

Harry stabbed moodily at his shepherd's pie. He couldn't help but wonder: was that really true? Did they really have to put up with Snape's attitude? What exactly was it that stopped someone from raising a stink about it and getting the man sacked?

"Sez right, 'arry," said Ron through a mouthful of potatoes. "ih won oo ay good."

"Don't talk with your mouth full, Ronald," scowled Hermione.

Ron swallowed his mouthful of potatoes. "Leave off," he grumbled at her.

"I will when you learn some manners!" she sniffed.

"Whatever, Little Miss Perfect," scowled Ron. "We can't all be like you."

"Only because you're too lazy to try!"