Turning point

The war with Voldemort was raging the last time the British Auror Office saw so much of Sebastian Delacour. He was a Master Auror then, on loan to the British Ministry to shore up the ranks after they took significant losses in a skirmish in Wales. Though much had changed – including the person occupying the head office – much more had stayed the same.

The peaceful atmosphere of Amelia's office was a stark contrast to the hustle and bustle of the rank and file. Aurors scurried to and fro as they worked, comparing cases and chasing leads. A multitude of voices, some hushed and some shouting, permeated the bullpen in a dull roar.

The rise in Dark activity after the World Cup was worrisome. Few arrests were made – the perpetrators disappeared quickly – and they were no closer to solving the problem. It was too bad that Minister Fudge was so shortsighted; the Department had less than a third of the personnel they needed because the Auror budget was his favorite one to cut.

But that was not his problem, and even if it were, it would have been the least of his concerns.

With a heavy sigh, Sebastian rubbed his eyes tiredly. Removing Albus Dumbledore from his positions of power was proving both easier and more difficult than they expected. On one hand, the bad press he was receiving as a result of the trial was working very much in their favor – but on the other, he still controlled Hogwarts, and they were having no luck in dislodging him.

And Hogwarts was the Big Prize.

Though it was nothing more than a school, the position of Hogwarts Headmaster was powerfully symbolic the world over. Many previous Headmasters had been the movers and shakers of their world, and Albus was no exception. So long as he held the post, people would wonder how things could possibly be as bad as the press was making them out to be.

Unfortunately, though, the Hogwarts Board of Governors was populated mostly by self-obsessed purebloods who wanted nothing more than to line their own pockets, and Albus had them under his thumb. Until such time as it became less profitable to accept his bribes than it was to do the right thing, they would do nothing. A lot of Harry's money had likely gone to them over the years to create that situation in the first place.

"What about Professor Binns?" asked Amelia thoughtfully, interrupting his musings. "He's a horrible teacher. Maybe we could use that somehow."

"An exposé on falling standards at 'ogwarts?" mused Sebastian thoughtfully. "We would 'ave to tear down more than just one teacher, and most of them are very good."

"Well, there's Hagrid," she frowned, "but I won't tarnish a good man's name for the sake of getting rid of Dumbledore."

Sebastian silently agreed with that ideal. Albus used people as pawns, moving them around on his personal chessboard to his heart's content, heedless of the feelings of the individual. He refused to become what they were fighting; if they were going to take anyone down, it would be people that truly deserved it.

Hagrid was a marginal teacher according to reports, but he was not a bad person – and it was only his second year, so he had a long way to go in learning what was appropriate. In fact, the majority of the problem could be laid at Dumbledore's feet anyway. It was his responsibility to set the standard for what was taught, and he was failing miserably at it.

"I 'ave 'eard 'Arry say that the groundskeeper is almost as bad as Snape," he offered. "We could look into that, but I do not think it would be an open and shut case."

Amelia nodded. "Filch is a piece of work," she said, "but you're right, it wouldn't be as easy as Snape was. The only other ones I've got are Burbage and Trelawney."

"Nobody will care about a Muggle Studies professor," he sighed. "And Divination is not much better."

"Agreed," said Amelia grudgingly.