Apricot Blossom

Ochako followed just a bit behind Professor Laventon as they made their way down the dirt path. The sun had started to set, creating a canvas of oranges, yellows, and pinks with bits of blues and violets. She was starting to feel a bit tired, the events of earlier draining most of her energy. Hopefully Jubilife Village, as he had called it, wasn't that far. She was feeling quite hungry.

Now that she thought about it, she hadn't eaten all day. It felt disturbingly normal for her to do that. What kind of habits did she have before all of this? Hopefully they weren't too bad. She'd hate to waste the professor's resources for her bad habits.

They soon arrived at the entrance of the village. It was being guarded by two men in red uniforms. The two of them were holding yari as they guarded it. Yellow banners hung from behind them as well as some lanterns. They both looked at the duo as they approached. "Thank you for your tireless work keeping us safe, my good guardsmen!" Laventon greeted, "This young lady was of great assistance to me and my Pokémon, so I hope you'll forgive my bringing her into the village for a bit!"

The two guards talked to each other a bit before nodding at Professor Laventon. It seemed they had given permission to allow her in the village. The professor started to walk and she soon followed behind him. She stopped a bit to look around. The houses were quite small and pushed together to leave no room between them. There were more guards stationed around as villagers walked around doing their daily activities. She could see a giant building at the end of the road.

The professor turned around and motioned her to follow him. "This way, if you please!" He started to walk while she followed a bit behind. 'This reminds me of something. I know I learned about villages like this in history but from which region?' She figured that question would remain unanswered for the time being.

"Jubilife Village! It's come a long way thanks to the fine people of the Galaxy Expedition Team! This road we're on now is known to the locals as Canala Avenue."

"I've never seen that child before..."

"That's quite the outfit right there..."

"Where'd you come from?"

"The village was built scarcely two years ago... There's much to do yet and not many to do it."

"What manner of dress is that?!"

"Shh! Quiet! She'll hear you!"

"And since we know so little of the local Pokémon, people hesitate to set foot outside the village."

"We're not s'posed to talk to strangers, you know."

"Who's that with the professor?"

As they drew near the bridge, the professor stopped and turned around. Ochako's arms were wrapped around herself. The whispers of everyone in the village were getting to her. "Oh botheration! I'd almost forgotten!" he exclaimed, "I need to go and report that we successfully recovered the escaped Pokémon! Might I ask for you to wait at the canteen? It's just past the bridge here, then to the left. The Wallflower, it's called!" He gave her one last smile before running off to the building.

The Arc Phone vibrated. She took it out from her pocket and looked at the notification. It lit up to show a map of the village. There was a marker to where she supposed the canteen was. She pocketed it again and walked towards the bridge. There was a man standing on it but he paid no mind to Ochako as she walked past him. She walked straight then to the left, just like the professor said.

There was a sign in a language she didn't know. An elderly man was standing in front of what she supposed to be The Wallflower. The moment she laid eyes on him, something pooled in her gut. Something was wrong. He was just a bit too hunched over and his legs were just a bit too shaky. Usually she would pay no mind but she knew for a fact that he was faking it. He looked over to her and scowled. Looking her over up and down, he shook his head.