First Night

Sophia's POV
I was still sleeping when the plane landed. I woke up slightly but not enough to open my eyes yet.

"Why don't you just pick her up?" I heard Grandpa's voice. "Then she can sleep."

"Yeah she'll wake and be pissed. Remember we are 11 going on 24." My dad countered back.

"Honestly she scares me a little." I heard Jasper say and I had to holdmy breath so I wouldn't laugh.

"Sophia...Sophia.... Kid wake up." My dad said gruffly.

I hope my eyes and rub my arm across my face. "I go by Sophie or Soph." I grumble out.

"I named you Sophia. I'm not giving you a nickname." He grumbled out reminding me that he was the one who picked my name. I hated it.

He held out his hand and I grabbed it and we got off the plane and got to his car. He opened the door for me and I sat down and he buckled my seat belt. "You know my hands work right? I can buckle myself in."

"That's strike one, if you get to three your getting spanked." He said before slamming my car door shut.

I was trying not to be a brat, I really was. But he was making it extremely difficult. I slammed myself back against the seat.

He started to drive while grandpa sat in the passenger seat and uncle Jasper sat in the backseat with me.

"You are already way more annoying than the last time we saw you." He said trying to joke but I was way too mad to find it funny.

"Shut up Jasper." I said loudly.

"Sophia! Apologize now! You don't tell people to shut up and it's uncle Jasper to you, strike two" He said sternly, glaring at me in the mirror.

"He's being rude to me! He called me annoying. Why is he not in trouble?" I asked crossing my arms.

"I'm going to pull this car over right now and deal with you." He threatened.

"I'm sorry uncle Jasper." I say keeping my voice steady as possible. After that I laid my head against the window and the tears would not stop coming. I hated them both except my grandpa. I missed my mom, step dad, and brothers. I couldn't believe I was going to have to deal with them for three months. It sucked being a kid.

I cried quietly to myself until he pulled open at some fancy looking restaurant that I have never heard of. My dad opened my door as I tried to wipe my tears away quickly but it didn't work.

"Why are you crying?" He asked like an idiot.

"I just had something in my eye." I said quickly hoping out of his car. He nodded but looked as if he didn't believe me.

He grabbed my hand and we walked into this busy restaurant. There was no way they were going to seat us.

Grandpa walked to the host desk and gave them our name and somehow they instantly had a table ready. They brought us back to a private room and sat us at a table. They put a huge menu in front of me and I couldn't understand one word on it. It was all fancy food that I have never heard of any of it. I scanned the menu trying to at least find chicken tenders because what restaurants doesn't have chicken tenders.

The waiter came and took our drink orders. I just ordered water. But when he came back for our food, I had no idea what to tell him.

"Ummm I..... Ummm I." I was stuttering trying to figure out what to say.

"She will have Zuppa di Pesce e Frutti di Mare." My dad finally ordered for me thankfully.

The waiter wrote it down and then left. "Sophia if you needed help reading the menu, you should have asked." He said looking intently at me.

Well once again I'm in trouble for just existing with this man. I just kept my mouth shut.

"I don't know you were such a baby. You couldn't even read a simple menu." Jasper once again joked but I didn't find funny.

Thankfully Grandpa came to my rescue and saved me from reaching strike 3. "Jasper leave that kid alone. I'm confused which one of you is  11 and who is 21. Act your age." Grandpa said sternly.

I smiled at Jasper for a split second so my dad wouldn't see. They made me participate in small talk until the waiter finally put the food my dad ordered for me down in front of me. I instantly started to eat the soup. As I continued to eat, I started to feel strange. My mouth was tingly, my face and neck started to itch, and my nose was filled with mucus.

"Um excuse me dad." I said as my throat started to feel tight.

"Sophia not now, eat your dinner. You're not getting anything else tonight." He said not even looking at me because he was in a conversation with my grandfather.

"Uncle Jasper what's in this?" I whispered because my throat was making it hard to breath and I could feel that I was sweating. "It's a seafood soup so shrimp, cod, clams, muscles.

"I'm allergic to shrimp." I whisper grabbing my throat. I couldn't breathe.

"What?" He asked then looked at me and his eyes got wide. "What's wrong with you?" He asked loudly making grandpa and dad look at me and there eyes went wide.

"Sophia where is your Epi pen?" My dad asked looking like he was panicking. I couldn't speak so I shook my head no.

"I'm calling 911." Grandpa said. I was still sitting in the chair trying to force myself to breath my skin was covered in hives.

The paramedics rushed in and laid me on the floor. They pulled my short leg up and quickly stabbed me with the epi pen. It hurt badly but I was thankful that I could breathe. I instantly become exhausted and passed out on the floor while pure chaos happened around me.