Rough Night

Sophia's POV
The zoo was surprisingly fun. I can't remember the last time that I had carefree fun like that with my dad. After the zoo we went out to dinner just the two of us, it was really nice. He even took me to a normal restaurant that I could actually read and understand the menu.

While sitting there, my dad kept trying to make small talk and kept asking me a thousand questions. I couldn't help but focus on the table next to us. A family was out to dinner. A mom and a dad and a couple of kids. The mom was a nice mom and very attentive like my own. My heart ached. Never really being gone from her this long, it was hard. I was only 11 after all.

I don't know what question I just ignored, but I knew when I snapped back to reality he was becoming frustrated with my lack of answers. "Sophia....are you listening to me at all?" He asked the strictness flooding back in his voice that quick.

"I'm sorry..." I said instantly becoming anxious and I started to get a really heavy feeling in my chest. It was unfamiliar, I've never felt this way before. Luckily his attention soon was off of me, when the waitress brought our food. He ate a salad and I ate chicken tenders and fries. We didn't talk much while we were eating.

"Can I have my phone back now? I'm sorry for having an attitude on the first day." I said on the way home from dinner being really sincere. I really just wanted to talk to my mom.

"I would have said yes if you didn't start ignoring me in there." He said straight and stern making my heart hurt and plummet.

"I'm sorry. I just miss my mom." I said being vulnerable with him for the first time." Instead of just swallowing my feelings like normal with him. "I didn't mean to hurt your feelings." I added quickly not wanting the day to end on a bad note.

"Thanks for apologizing but my answer is still no."

That's all it took for me to blow up. "Why! Why can't I talk to my mom?" I shouted at him.

"This right here little girl. Watch how you are talking to me. Before I have to put an end to it and blister your ass." He said in the mirror through gritted teeth making me stop for a second.

"You are being cruel! I tried to be respectful all day. I just want to talk to my mother." I said and instantly burst into tears. I was crying so hard I started to cough. He quickly pulled over and went into the back seat with me.

"Come here Sophia." He said trying to pull me to him.

I used both legs to push his hands away from me. I was trying everything in my power to try to get air in my lungs but they felt like they were getting tighter and tighter. I kept coughing trying not to throw up and I could not stop crying. I have never had this feeling before.

He pushed my legs down and grabbed me despite my fighting. He quickly opened the door and pulled us both out in a quick sweep. He put me down and somehow knew I was going to throw up before I even knew that was coming next.

I started vomiting over and over again while he held my hair out of my face. I collapsed to my knees shaking and he went down to the ground with me and put his arms around me and held me tightly to his chest.

"It's okay Soph, I'm here baby. Try to take some deep breaths." He said soothingly into my ear taking me by surprise that he called me Soph, instead of Sophia. "That's it. There's my good girl. Take some more." He encouraged softly.

Finally the tightness in my chest went away and I could breathe and think straight again. "I'm sorry." I whispered out still not feeling well enough to talk.

"You have nothing to be sorry about." He said getting off the ground and picking me up. He sat me in the car and got on the other side of me. "Go ahead rest your eyes for a while. I'll be right here." He encouraged. I didn't even how tired I was until he said that. I shut my eyes and sleep overtook me that quick.

**********************************************
Justin's POV
I held her limp body in my arms tightly. She exhausted herself out. I texted my Dad and Jasper so they could meet me here and drive back my car, so I didn't have to put her down.

"What happened?" My dad asked worried as soon as Jasper parked the car.

"She had a panic attack and was vomiting. I couldn't get her to calm down." I said slightly shook up from witnessing this. I felt terrible.

"Why? Why did she get that upset?" He asked accusingly.

"I told her she couldn't have her phone back." I said sensing the anger on my father's voice. He has always had a soft spot for Sophia.

"Justin! You need to stop punishing her for everything. She's a good kid and she will never trust or feel comfortable with you, if you don't show that you trust her. She wants her mom. Don't take that away from her. She's still a little girl." He said getting in the front seat.

I didn't respond back. I looked down at her and sighed when I saw how peaceful she looked. He was right. I need to give her some grace.

We got home and she continued to sleep. She somehow slept through the entire night. I stayed next to her afraid that she would have another attack. She finally started to stir, the next morning. She woke up and looked at me confused. "Hi dad?" She said with confusion lacing her voice until it seemed to race back in her head what happened.

"Good morning. Here's your phone back." I said slipping it into her hand. "Remember this is a privilege not a right. If your behavior changes I will be taking it back." I said forcing myself to be straight with her.

"I'll be good. Thank you." She said still in a strange mood. "I'm kinda feeling dirty. So I'm going to shower." She said standing up and pulling clothes out of her dresser.

"I'll go make us breakfast." I said getting up, taking the hint that she wanted to be alone. I walked out her door saying a silent prayer to myself that I could make this work, for both of our sakes.

I hope you enjoyed this long awaited update. Please let me know what you want to see next!