Chapter Twenty: The Beginning

"So, what are we looking at, exactly?" Mandeville's local detective, Robert Manson Boone asked the chief of police, Fredrick Winters, as they gathered around the house, which held a horrific crime scene. The person who called him there hadn't given him any information about the murder, only telling the detective to rush over. He didn't even have time to get breakfast.

The panicked cop glanced at Robert, then back at the house. His cheeks were tinted green, and his forehead had been drenched with ice cold sweat.

"Hey, Freddy, are you alright?" The detective asked, his tone softer as he placed a hand on the young man's shoulder. "You look like you're going to hurl all over those fancy shoes."

The man didn't laugh at his joke, only sitting down on the sidewalk beneath him, resting his head between his knees as he tried to calm his breathing. Robert sat down beside the cop warily, a little more concerned as he eyed the man's frantic demeanor. What could this officer, who had already seen so much during his time on the force, have seen to disturb him so badly?

"They're back, Boone." The man said, finally meeting his eyes. "Those psychos have come back to this town. Just when we thought they had left..."

"What are you-" Robert was cut off as a stack of photos was pushed into his lap. The officer stood up, visibly shaken.

"My partner will fill you in on the information, I just... I can't be here right now." With that, the disturbed man nearly jogged to his blue cop car, almost stumbling over his feet as he got inside.

As Robert flipped through the photos in his lap, his expression darkened as realization crashed down onto his shoulders. Finally, he processed Fredrick's words. "They're back" as memories flashed through his mind. Though he hadn't been employed in Mandeville during the infamous time, he had been told many horror stories about the gaggle of teenage murderers who had originated from the small Louisiana town.

Jane Arkensaw. Hannah Jackson. Liu Woods.

Jeffery Woods.

He had memorized everything about these killers. Their faces, names, ages, and killing methods. However, something in these photos made him hesitate.

"Rogers!" He called to the police chief's second in command, who was immediately at his side, ready to answer his questions. "Tell me everything."

"Yes, sir." Rogers replied, immediately delving into the events that had taken place that morning. "We received a call at around eight in the morning. It was the victim's mother. Apparently, she had been out for most of the night with her husband. When they got home, they had assumed the victim was asleep, as there were no noises coming from her room. When they woke up, they realized she wasn't at the breakfast table, which seemed to be routine for her. That's when her mother finally checked the girl's bedroom, and..."

He paused. Robert nodded, signaling for him to proceed.

"Well, to give you an exact description, it was, um," He hesitated again. "Graphic. The photos you have there only covered half of it. When we got here, she was, well, her torso was on the bed. It had been cut open, and her insides were strewn everywhere. Almost all of them had been completely detached from her body. Her head was on the nightstand. Her arms and legs were in the closet. Her heart was missing, as well as all of her fingers and toes. Her eyes, teeth and tongue had all been shoved into a nearby jewelry box. Her legs and arms even had, uh, deep bite marks in them. The perpetrator even managed to rip out some chunks of flesh in the process. It... it was so hard to find an area of the room that hadn't been completely covered in the poor girl's blood."

Robert felt his own insides twist into knots as he heard the recap of the night's events. "Were you able to find any DNA from these bites?"

"Yes, actually!" The cop stated a bit too cheerfully. "It's being analyzed right now, but it's kind of just for assurance."

"Assurance? Assurance for what?" The detective questioned.

"Well, not to sound too arrogant, but we already have a suspect. Actually, I'm certain they were the one who did it."

"Explain." Robert demanded.

"Well, we got another call this morning. Apparently, there was a trespasser in the local graveyard yesterday. In fact, they were a grave robber. Although," He hesitated once more. "They only took the corpse's skull."

"Whose grave was it?"

"Johnathan Ross's."